1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

What to do??

Discussion in 'Divorce, Separation, Annulment' started by showbgls, Mar 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. showbgls

    showbgls Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I live in the State of Illinois and have been living with the same man for 12 years (never married). I have given my life to this man and his 2 businesses. To date, I cooked, cleaned, shopped, bought his clothes, diod his laundry, packed and arranged business trips and on and on. He has never even taken the trash out and finally started mowing the yard (1 1/2 acres) last year when my allergies were so severe I could no longer do it. I wear a nice diamond ring and have used his sur name in circumstances.

    The reality is he has physically and verbally abused me almost since the beginning. Before you start on the "why haven't you left" thing let me tell you it's very complicated and I will go into it in more detail later.

    The point is he hit me pretty bad about a month ago and I called the cops. They wouldn't charge him but did make him leave. He has been at a friend's house ever since and now says he going to stay there and rent our home out(the house is in his name). He says he's "evicting" me.
    Can he do that? I do not work outside the home and run a kennel and show dogs for other people. Where would I go with all these dogs, no "real" job and very little money on hand. Do I have any rights? Or does the law let him just make me walk away with nothing. There is NO common law in Illinois.

    Thanks. I know I will have to get an attorney shortly but I just wanted to get a head start on what I may expect to go through.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.