What to do....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maynard0716

My jurisdiction is: Texas, Liberty County

My best friend has been raising her niece since she was 3 days old. Her and her husband and now this child is now 2 years old and the biological parents have not supported this child in any way since birth. They have recently come to my friend and told her that they want to give up their rights on the child so that my friend and husband can adopt her. How do they go about getting this started on their own without an attorney?

They are likely going to have to have an attorney, an adoption is not a do it yourself project. At the very minimum your friend should file for custody ASAP. Since it appears she has nothing legal signed, your friend legally does not even have custody. I would file for custody first, and see an adoption attorney. Call around for a few quotes. If this is an uncontested adoption then you might find an attorney to do this for $2500 or so. Was paternity ever established from the father? Your friend needs to do this right. Both parents rights are going to have to be terminated, then she can adopt. See if the parents are willing to split the costs with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back