What steps do you take to sign over parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne720

Baby was born in 2002, and there was a 1 in 4 chance of my son being the father. Mother's current boyfriend was put on birth certificate and DNA test was finally agreed to by her in Dec 04. Now she wants my son to see the child, but in the capacity of friend, never being able to reveal he is the biological father. My son has his own family now, new baby and all, and feels it would be too hard to maintain a "friendship" with the child and a normal family life and therefore has decided not to be involved. He has only seen the child twice, and now wants to sign over rights so the step father can legally adopt if he wants. Does anyone know what steps he needs to take, or if the mother has to agree?

yes the mother would have to agree, and there would have to be a step parent adoption, like a new husband. Your son cannot just walk away from his responsibilites if the mom does not agree to it. He should ask if she is willing, but she probably would have to be married to her boyfriend. If she agrees then they would have to see an attorney.

I am not sure what state your in but in florida you have to file a motion with the courts and then go to court and a that time the judge will order a gaurdian ad litem for the child as well as couseling to make sure that is what he wants and then he will address the mother and her thougts on it and go from there, it is a long battle usually last 6-12 months in our state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back