What should we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar1

My wife was told by her boss that she will not renew her contract (which ends on Feb 2009) and that she should start looking for a new position. A few days later she called my wife into her office and demanded to know why she has still not found a new job. After my wife finished explaining that it takes more than a few days her boss started shouting at her and violently pushed her out of her office and told her not to come in anymore. A few minutes later, as my wife was collecting her personal items and getting ready to leave, her boss came over to her desk and started shouting again, ripped all her personal noted of her cork board, took her personal belongings out of her drawers and through everything on the floor outside the office. She concluded by ripping the ID card off my wife's pants. What are our rights and what should we do about this?

"WE" have no rights at all. You are not involved in your wife's work relationship and YOU can do nothing at all.

If your wife wants to ensure herself a bad reference, she can contact the local police and complain of assault (the pushing). Whether they will do anything about it is unknown. It's up to her whether to try or not.

The rest is appallingly bad management but does not lead to legal recourse. I would, however, suggest that your wife contact the boss's manager or the HR office and report what happened. There may be some internal remedy, even though yelling at her and throwing her belongings on the floor does not lead to legal recourse.

It is not acceptable, but it isn't illegal either. Like cbg said, your wife can report the employee to higher management for internal remedy.

There's a difference between unacceptable and illegal. As I said already, that was appalling behavior. Of course it wasn't acceptable behavior. That doesn't make it illegal and it doesn't give your wife legal recourse. Not everything that shouldn't happen is prohibited by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back