what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troubled_mom

I have full custody of my 5 year old. His dad lives in another state about 15 hours away. He has not seen him in over 2 1/2 years and doesn't hardly call. I want to move out of state (better place to live, less crime, better schools etc.) and I want to know if he can stop me. The state I want to move to is about 23 hours away from him, so only an 8 hour difference from how it is now. He does have visitaion rights but obviously doesn't use them. It does state in the divorce that the visitaions have to take place in florida till my son is 6 years old. Am I going to have a hard time moving out of state? I don't see the problem cause he never see's him or calls him at all. Some please help me.....

Last edited:
To prove a relationship exists, which means seeing the child a few hours
at least once a week, to establish it would be detrimental to his son to move
far away, your non-visiting ex spouse after 2 1/2 years has forfeited his chance. Your son would not be affected by his absence. The court looks out
for the childs best interest. Get some free legal advice.

You should have your lawyer file a petition informing your ex-husband that you plan on moving to a different state due to the reasons you listed on your posting and also to inform him that you intend to keep the custody agreements you currently have. I don't think your ex will have much to complain about - the new arrangement will result in less travel time for him to see his child and you are still going to abide with visitation rights previously granted. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back