What rights do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iona8

My jurisdiction is: TN

While I was unemployed, my husband sold his car and has been driving mine for months while continually promising to get himself another one. I can't get a FT job because there is no public transportation where I live. I am ready to file for divorce and move to the city. What rights do I have for him to help pay my some toward my living expenses for 3-6 months after the divorce when we have no children or assets and only debt is the car?

Last edited:
You may be entitled to some form of alimony if you divorce, including temporary alimony during the proceedings. It may also be possible to request that your husband assume the loan on your car, but if the loan is in your name only, you run the risk that he may default on the loan and damage your credit.

With no children, assets, or debts, your divorce would be fairly straightforward, and you may be able to handle it without an attorney. However, if you also want alimony or a replacement for your car, then you will probably need an attorney unless your husband will agree.

The following website describes the forms of alimony available in TN, as well as the state's guidelines for awarding it:

http://www.memphisdivorce.com/alimony_faq.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back