What proof do I need for money owed me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keylargo

Hello,
I am trying to receive money that is owed me for 8 hours of work. The sum is not a lot...it's just the principle of it.
This person was not able to pay me for several months because they were waiting to get paid on the contract themselves. Now that they've gotten paid (about a month now) I've still not received my payment. This is the catch: I never signed a contract showing I would be paid.
All I have are emails of me asking when I'm going to be paid and them responding that it will be "this weekend" or "soon." I was also told the day I was asked to do the work that I would be paid. But I'm not sure if a verbal agreement would count.
Do I have a case to stand on if I take these emails to small claims court? I've sent them several emails the last several days asking if I'm to be paid by their business or out of their personal checking and so far no reply. I've been trying to get in writing the hourly wage so that if I do take them to small claims court I will have proof that I am to be paid a set amount...also so they can't screw me paying me the least amount they can get by with. No answer to those emails either.

Last edited:
A verbal agreement is a contract, the only difficulty is proving it. It sounds like you will be able to at least show the court that you did some work and were supposed to be paid. The question will be, how much? And the judge will have to consider your word against whatever the contractor says. It reflects well on you that you've tried to resolve this amicably. Sue the rascal in small claims, bring every piece of documentation you have to your hearing.

Thanks

Thanks for your advice. I finally got another reply from my emails but they still didn't answer my questions. They just said they would mail it tomorrow and they were sorry. We shall see. If nothing else, at least I have another email confirming they were supposed to pay me that I can use as evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back