Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant What is the law regarding asking for passenger Id's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fustrated

I am in california my husband was pulled over because the truck had expired tags by 3 days. We got the dmv temporary tag and the needed smog check completed just waiting for office hours to open to finish the process. My husbands license is valid, we have insurance, were not speeding, and he checked out to not have any warrants. Shouldn't we have been free to go since everything was cleared and found to be legal? I can understand the law perhaps can inforce asking if passengers are on probation or parole which they are subject to search and seizure. But if no one is on probation or parole and subject to following those guidelines and rules, is it legal to require passengers to hand over their identifications when the purpose of being pulled over has been already dealt with and cleared up with no citations or infractions given to the driver?

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS THE LAW HERE?

Q: But if no one is on probation or parole and subject to following those guidelines and rules, is it legal to require passengers to hand over their identifications when the purpose of being pulled over has been already dealt with and cleared up with no citations or infractions given to the driver?

A: I would say that this was done for the safety of the officer. That's a valid reason.

But if no one is on probation or parole and subject to following those guidelines and rules, is it legal to require passengers to hand over their identifications when the purpose of being pulled over has been already dealt with and cleared up with no citations or infractions given to the driver?
The officer can ask the passengers for their ID if he wishes. They can refuse to provide it if they desire.

If someone was unduly detained and suffered damages, they may submit a claim to the agency, file a personnel complaint, or engage an attorney to see if they have a cause of action. But if all that happened was that the officer asked for IDs from the passenger, I doubt there is going to be any cause of action here.

There are a lot of variables in any detention, and the officer might have had good cause to prolong the detention beyond the few minutes it might take to verify the information. He can detain the parties long enough to run license checks, records, checks on the car, etc.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back