What does she get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxerkass

My wife and I seperated only a couple months ago but have not filed for divorce yet. We have not lived together for these past couple months either. So far we have tried to split things evenly but now we disagree on what should be split.

About a year before I met my wife, my father purchased me a car. Then a year after we met we decided to sell it and buy two cars. We bought one nice car and one not so nice car and agreed that since it was my car we sold, I would take the nice one. Since we seperated we sold the bad car and she kept all the money from that sale. And now I am moving out of the state and I need to sell my car. She says that she gets half of the money that I make from selling this car. Can she do this? Since we bought the car with money that I had well before we even met, should she still get half?

Also we attained 3 credit cards during our marrige, but because I have better credit, they are all in my name. Of course we maxed them all out and she cannot afford to help me pay them off. Is she obligated to pay half of that dept?

Thank you

What does she get? That depends. If you plan to divorce without counsel, and with an agreement, then she gets whatever the two of you decide.

If you can't decide, then a judge will decide. Typically, marital assets and marital debt are split, and you will each have a share. Your respective shares may be based on your respective financial situations.

The car became marital property when you sold it and bought 2 other cars. She may be entitled to a share of the sale of your car, just as you may be entitled to a share of the sale of her car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back