What do I do? Service member in need of advice

Myurecko

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hello everyone, I really need some advice on what to do here... I bought a truck from a fellow service member in a different branch right before he was about to deploy. The truck is in perfect shape and the man was very honest and helpful during the whole transaction. He owed money on the vehicle through usaa and therefore didn't have the title in hand because usaa was holding it. I financed the vehicle also through usaa paying off what he owed on the truck so the title was then sent to me. In the time it took for the title to come in the mail the man I bought the truck from deployed for a year. He said before he left that he gave his father a power of attorney to sign over the title before he left and gave usaa the adress to give to me. From there I got the adress and sent the title via certified mail to the house and nobody picked it up. I scheduled multiple re-deliveries and still no one was there to pick it up despite several noticed being left behind. After 20 days of no one picking up the title the post office sent it back. I don't have a number to reach them nor any way to contact the deployed service member. I have been staring at my new truck in my garage for two months now and haven't even driven it once... I can't get plates for a title that was never transferred. What do I do? Am I screwed for a year? I really need some help here. Thank you!

Visit your JAG office.
JAG, has ways to contact the service member, and help you determine his status.

Many things may ave gone wrong. He could be deceased, in the hospital, who knows, but through the DoD all can be discovered.

If JAG can't help, they'll know who can.

JAG can also assist you in obtaining your registration, LEGALLY.

Bonding should not hurt the status. The state gives you clear title, but the bond is an insurance policy in case the original owner were to say that he did not really sell it to you, then he would make a claim against the bond and get paid the value of the vehicle. So once you have the title issued by the state, the vehicle cannot be taken back.

Bonding should not hurt the status. The state gives you clear title, but the bond is an insurance policy in case the original owner were to say that he did not really sell it to you, then he would make a claim against the bond and get paid the value of the vehicle. So once you have the title issued by the state, the vehicle cannot be taken back.

Does this call for a pretty big up front cost?

The fee is based on the value of the vehicle. You should be able to call an insurance company and get a quote over the phone.

No unless they will accept the signature on the bill of sale which is doubtful, but maybe if it is notarized. Go to the DMV and bring everything you have and let them tell you. These things vary by state so it's best you get it straight from them. Or do as recommended and keep trying to find the person through the JAG office.

Back