1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

What can they do?

Discussion in 'Juvenile Crime, Law & Court' started by Ashiebear87, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Ashiebear87

Ashiebear87 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Oklahoma
    Alrighty so I moved out of my parents house with my child. Do I need to get emancipated for them to not be able to say what I can and can not do? I'm 17 that helps anything

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

You're 17 and have a child. That was rather stupid of you. Go home to your parents. You need to have adults telling you what you can and cannot do because your life decisions haven't been all that smart and I doubt that you will survive very well on your own trying to raise a child.

Leaving your parents' home could very well result in your child being taken by Child Protective Services.

Go home before you make a bigger mess of your life than you already have.

army judge likes this.
  3. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

When you turn 18, you can move out & live where you wish.

4. leslie82

leslie82 Well-Known Member

You can't get emancipated just because you knocked up some girl. Your parents are still legally obliged to take care of you until you reach the age of majority. They have no legal rights or obligations to your kid.

Until you're the age of majority in your state, suck it up. Perhaps you might want to invest in birth control also or just avoid having sex until you're mature enough to handle it.

5. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

In your state, emancipation means one thing and one thing only - it gives you the right to sign a contract. It does NOT remove you from your parents' custody or control. As long as you are under 18, your parents get to say what you can and can't do, and if they say you don't move out of the house, then you don't move out of the house. Your having a child at 17 does not change that.