1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

What Can I Use For Lost Birth Certificate

Discussion in 'Business & Corporate Matters' started by egrizzly, Oct 14, 2021.

1. egrizzly

egrizzly Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Texas
    Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. One of the National Minority Supplier Development Council affiliates - DFW Minority Supplier Development Council (dfwnmsdc.org) is requesting that I provide a birth certificate. I have lost my birth certificate and unable to obtain my parents birth certificate as well. So because I'm in this dilemma it seems I don't meet their requirement of providing a birth certificate or parents birth certificate.

A buddy of mine said I should go ask an attorney, that their should trully be another legal document that can be used in place of my birth certificate thus my engagement with this forum. Please help. What can I use?

2. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

Birth Record FAQs

Red Kayak and Zigner like this.
  3. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

Rather than go all around Robin Hood's barn trying to find a way to bypass the requirements and use a different document, why don't you just order a replacement birth certificate (instructions included in Blue's link)?

Red Kayak, Zigner and justblue like this.
  4. welkin

welkin Active Member

That assumes OP was born in Texas. You have to request the replacement in the state and county where you were born.

Zigner likes this.
  5. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

True enough, but the basic idea still holds.

Red Kayak, Zigner and justblue like this.
  6. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I suggest that you ask somebody at the council what alternatives there might be.

Or, is there some reason that you can't, or won't, get a duplicate.

hrforme likes this.
  7. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

It's possible that the OP was not born in the US, which can make obtaining a copy of the birth certificate more difficult.

Red Kayak likes this.
  8. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

Depending on what country, possibly. But I was not born in the US and if I needed another copy of my birth certificate I could order it online for a small fee.

justblue and Red Kayak like this.
  9. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Why?

This is more of a curiosity than anything else. What does "parents birth certificate" mean? I'm guessing you omitted the apostrophe, so did you mean "parents' birth certificates" (plural)? Or did you mean the birth certificate (singular) of either parent? Also, why would that be a substitute for your own birth certificate since their birth certificates would provide no information about you. You could obtain a birth certificate of literally any woman of an appropriate age to be your mother and claim it is your mother's. Again, nothing more than a curiosity.

Determining whether something else might suffice would require an explanation of why this entity wants your birth certificate and also a review of the entity's rules.

Why not simply go to the vital records agency in the county where you were born and obtain a duplicate birth certificate?

10. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

BINGO, winner, winner, tasty chicken dinner.