what can i do if i lost a small claims and feel it was an unfair trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahajw05

My husband lost in small claims today and i feel it was unfair trial and we didnt get a chance to tell our story.
My boyfriend was renting his aunts trailor and one month was 10 days behind on rent.She came into the hosue while he was gone and noticed a few holes in the wall.She came to my house demanded her mom(we had my parents and my sister witness this)then told him to get out.She changed the locks and we were unable to get his stuff for 3 days and we were only given 4 hours to move everything.We were going back later to get the couch set,wash and dryer,car(it was broke down but only needed $200 in repairs),chair and microwave but she wouldnt let us get it.She said she would press charges.She is an ex cop and has pull but honestly not many people like her.we never heard from them till 14 months later when he got served with papers.She had pictures of damange that was not there while he was there and she wants us to pay from carpet(the original carpet from a 1987 trailor and it was nastey and old when he moved in).The pictures showed table pushed over and all kind of stuff that they obviously did.She said there was 7000 in damage and that we owed her 1200 in rent?We only owed her 100.She was trying to say we owe her money for july when we moved out june 16 2007.She is crazy and this is her 3rd time suing.We lost and have to pay 3000 plus court fees when she got over 3000 in our personal belongings.what can we do can we counter sue for her taking personal belongings?

You can usually appeal a small claims judgment to the next higher court level, whatever that is where you are. Your grounds of appeal may be limited - think hard about why you think this decision is wrong. If it's just "the judge didn't listen to us", you should be warned that trial judges usually have a lot of leeway in making findings of credibility and electing which evidence they choose to believe.

By my count, she was suing you for a total of $8200, and you only had to pay $3000 plus small court costs. That's not exactly a loss.

Yes, you can counterclaim for loss of your personal belongings. You should have done so in this action so the judge would have a chance to sort it all out at once, but you're likely not barred from suing on your own now.

You say this is her 3rd time suing. What happened the other two times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back