What are my rights?

Twiddlers

Jurisdiction
California
For the past 29 years my adult autistic son & I have lived in my father's home. My sister wants to sell. If I don't get out in 3 weeks she is going to get a dumpster & throw away everything I own. Can she do this? Can she throw me & my son out before I've saved enough for an apartment?

There's a lot missing from your post.

Is your father deceased?
If so, when?
Was his estate probated?
Who is representative of the estate?
Did you and your sister inherit the house?
Is the house deeded to you and your sister jointly or still in your father's name?

If you are a tenant, she would have to give you 60 days written notice. And that wouldn't have anything to do with you saving up.

If you are an heir or owner and don't cooperate with the sale, she will have to go to court to force the sale.

As for the dumpster, if it shows up you can call the police and they will stop her.

Can she do this?

I'm certain someone can toss out another person's belongings.

I suggest you simply prepare to move, even ask for a few more weeks if you can't comply with her deadline.

There are many available apartments in this world, and many people have issues, you'll just have to handle yours as you approach middle age.

For the past 29 years my adult autistic son & I have lived in my father's home. My sister wants to sell.

Is there any particular reason why your sister's desire to sell should concern anyone? Are you suggesting that she wants to sell your father's home? Does your father want to sell his home? Again, who gives a <bleep> what your sister wants?

If I don't get out in 3 weeks she is going to get a dumpster & throw away everything I own. Can she do this?

No one here has the slightest idea what abilities your sister has. If your intent was to ask whether it would be legal for her to do this, the answer is no.

Can she throw me & my son out before I've saved enough for an apartment?

Nothing in your post suggests your sister has any rights or authority whatsoever regarding your father's house, but please answer the questions asked in "adjusterjack's" response because your story is quite incomplete.

Back