What are my chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmaddox79

My girlfriend and I have a 2 year old son and a 6 year old son. The 6 year old is hers from a previous relationship. I desperately want to leave her, as I absolutely cannot stand to look at her or be around her any longer, but I know that there is no chance that I would be awarded custody of my 2 year old. She didn't graduate high school, doesn't have ANY insurance and makes barely over minimum wage. Meanwhile, I've got some college under my belt and I make a decent living. I don't, however, make quite enough money to live on my own AND pay child support. In addition, I fear leaving because she has a history of dating violent drug abusers. Such is the case with our 6-year old's deadbeat dad. I absolutely cannot allow my son to be left in that environment without my supervision. What percentage of my pay should I expect to lose in child support and why is it seemingly impossible for the father to be awarded custody?

You can certainly ask for custody or at least joint. Her income and the fact she did not graduate high school doesnt matter, you didn't care at the time and had a child with her anyways. You might want to google your states child support guidelines. If you cannot aford CS andto live on your own then seek better employment or a second job after everything is settled. Some states will go by both of your incomes, and parenting time. I would not stay in the relationship just to avoid paying CS..you are paying bills around the house anyways so it might not be that big of a difference. Look into getting a roommate too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back