what are my chances at sole custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlewis405

My x filed for joint custody of our 4 month old the 21st, i was served the 22nd. I went and talked to my attorney and he really pushed for me to agree to joint, but thats what I have been trying to do the past 4 months without us having to go to court and have been unsuccsesful with coperation on his part. I was not keeping her from him, he was fully aware that he could come see her or come get her when he wanted, all he had to do was pick up the phone. I don't understand if he knew that why he went and filed. The problem is that our daughter is 4 months old and he has only seen her 8 times, and thats including the day she was born. He has chose to not be in her life on a consistent basis. To top it off he was willingly giving me child support and he has not stopped as of this month. I have kept a journal of the times he has spent with her and for how long, as well as phone calls made on my behalf reaching out to him to spend more time with her. So with that being said, I, in return filed for sole custody with visitation. I feel as this is what is best for our daughter right now until he can prove himself to be a good father and to support her. I am just worried that a judge is really going to push joint, so I want to know my chances of being awarded sole custody?

He has a right to joint custody. He might file for it and might get it. If you want child support, you need to file for it thorugh the courts. were you 2 ever married? Has paternity been established? It is really hard to predict what the judge will award, but if the x fights you for joint he just might get it.

Duranie said:
He has a right to joint custody. He might file for it and might get it. If you want child support, you need to file for it thorugh the courts. were you 2 ever married? Has paternity been established? It is really hard to predict what the judge will award, but if the x fights you for joint he just might get it.

He did file for joint custody. I had to file for child support through DHS in order to receive child care assitance, but now that will just be added to our custody case. We were never married, we were together for 3 years. Paternity has been established. He has never been concerned with her, I belive that he just doing this to try to hurt me. He just has so many neagtive things against him,like no paying child support, not spending much time with her, not returning my phone calls, not helping with the responsibility. I just feel like I have made all the major decicsion in her life such as health care, day care, I take care of her so I don't feel like joint custody will work right now until he can prove to be a better father. I just can't handle us having joint custody with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back