Were/are we being lied to?

But I'd bet that untrained people wearing a mask have just as high a rate of infecting others as those without a mask.

I think you'd lose that bet. Pretty much any barrier will help reduce the spread of the disease. Some more than others, but something still helps over nothing.

Armbands along with headgear, plus tracking apps (some suggest hardware embedded under the skin), as well as ID cards demonstrating one's disease status might be coming, along with mandated testing to prove you're disease free and NOT a serial spreader.

When someone actually attempts to mandate an armband, a tracking app or an ID card, we can revisit the conversation. So far, the only ones I've seen suggest them are the anti-maskers;

In the meantime, if you're right and you're forced to wear a mask, the only thing that's happened is that you've suffered a minor inconvenience. If TM and I are right, you and all the people around you have reduced the chances of being infected by a disease that can be deadly, has no vaccine, no cure and limited immunity.

Received this Covid-19 risk chart in an email from Texas Medical Association.

That chart also comes with an important caveat in the small print: "Please assume that participants in these activities are following currently recommended safety protocols when possible." One of those recommended safety protocols would be the wearing of masks that some here seem to find so objectionable. Your risk will be greater than indicated on that chart if infected persons are not wearing masks when it is feasible to do so.

I've seen that as well. It seems several of the low-risk activities would depend on who did them right before you.

Yes, such as staying at a hotel for two nights, even IF a hotel does as many tout: DEEP cleaning and DISINFECTING.

Going to a hair salon or barbershop (or traveling in a filthy aircraft cabin) is a seven, versus sending kids to school, daycare, or summer camp being a six.

I don't see how any school could have extracurricular activities as in football, wrestling, or basketball.

If attending a religious service of more than 500 congregants maxes out at a nine, wouldn't attending a high school with 3,500 students be off the chart with at least a twenty???

Your risk will be greater than indicated on that chart if infected persons are not wearing masks when it is feasible to do so.

As a physician (in case you forgot), I know what the chart says.

I can't say I agree with what is on the chart.

I don't know how the information was derived, or what science is behind the chart.

I can say that I do understand what I read on the chart.

If attending a religious service of more than 500 congregants maxes out at a nine, wouldn't attending a high school with 3,500 students be off the chart with at least a twenty???
Because the 3,500 kids aren't in the same room for over an hour.

Because the 3,500 kids aren't in the same room for over an hour.

No, just a mere 35-40 students are packed into a 15' X 15' room for 54 minutes seven periods every school day from Monday through Friday.

However, 3,500 students pass in the hallways for 6 minutes every 54 minutes.

At lunch time, 1,750 students congregate in the cafeteria for 54 minutes during the "A" and "B" lunch periods.

There are so many variables involved that I wouldn't believe a chart like that if it were brought down from the mount by Moses.

It's not meant to be precise. It's meant to give people a general idea of the relative risks of different activities, and I think it achieves that reasonably well.

On another forum I just received a rather sarcastic, but admittedly well-deserved, comment on the folly of continuing to respond to the resident troll. While I do not generally consider PayrollDude or ArmyJudge to be trolls, I do think this thread has gone well beyond the point where it is accomplishing any purpose. I am therefore signing out.

And another thank you here to the observer from the other forum - you know who you are. :D

Back