Welcome your comments on Florida new DNA law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nana2009

My jurisdiction is: Florida

As of July 1, 2009, Florida has a new DNA law that requires all Felony Offenders, no matter what it is, if it has been dropped to a lesser, misdemeanor, or you have been acquitted by a jury, to provide DNA and 2 thumbs prints.
As a concerned citizen, I do not think it is right to have defendants that have been acquitted or charge has been dropped to a lesser to provide DNA.

What is this going to do for everyone?

A man that I know, had his charge dropped to a lesser misdemeanor before the new law became effective. Chose to serve time in jail and then had to have the DNA and thumb prints.
Just don't think it is right.

I would welcome comments, please. What purpose does this serve?:confused:

It would serve for easier identification in the future. There's two ways to look at this. First, if he doesn't commit a crime, then he has nothing to worry about. Secondly, what if a crime is commited, and he would have been accused, except that DNA evidence from the crime doesn't match his?

I can look at this kind of from his side too (well fingerprints, but no DNA). As an airline employee, I had to be fully fingerprinted by the FBI, and there is a case number that goes with it. So, without even being arrested, I've had to submit my fingerprints. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I guess I personally feel like it is an invasion of someones privacy to do this. Grant you, People convicted of Child Crimes or Murders, or plain out right Felony convictions should have DNA. But, those who have had probable cause found and then found innocent. Those people still have to have DNA even if they have been found innocent or charged with a lesser crime.

I understand that this DNA will be put into a database. And I also understand that the DNA can be used against you if you commit another crime or Felony.

But, I am having a hard time with the fact that innocent people are having their DNA in a database without a Felonious crime committed. and if you decline to submit to the DNA, then they get suspicious of you.

I have read a lot about this on line. Talk about STRESS!

But why are you so stressed out about it? He already had to get fingerprinted when he was arrested, as does everyone who goes in. So on the part of giving thumbprints, even for a misdemeanor, and without a conviction for that matter, they already get that. And the fact that the charge got reduced normally means a plead deal. So he did commit the crime, but was able to make a deal. He still committed the crime.

Really and truly what is the concern? So they have his DNA. If he doesn't commit a crime then he has nothing to worry about.

And if you think about it, they have all sorts of personal info on him, and I would think that would be a greater concern, but it's not.

In countries like ENGLAND they can order you to give a DNA sample, they've done this to whole villages to narrow the field of suspects.

It's the future. Soon children will be born, and give a DNA sample for some kind of governmental B.S. reason. . . health, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back