weeding money

Status
Not open for further replies.

mibulobo

Jurisdiction / State: New York

Hello
My girlfriend was engaged two years ago and her parents gave her ex-fiance some money to get them started. Long story short they broke the engagement a couple of months before the weeding and he never returned the money. They tried to contact him and some of his family members but the guy never answers and just been avoiding them for the last 2 years.
Her parents are old and shes is the one who's been trying to get her parents money back.
Is there anything that she can do to get her money back? I know he did not signed any kind of document when he got the money, but I sure he got the money by check since is was a large amount over $45,000 dlls.
Thank you.

This appears to be a gift, not a loan.

Has she made any attempt at restitution? Was the money contingent on the actual wedding going ahead?

Jurisdiction / State: New York

Hello
My girlfriend was engaged two years ago and her parents gave her ex-fiance some money to get them started. Long story short they broke the engagement a couple of months before the weeding and he never returned the money. They tried to contact him and some of his family members but the guy never answers and just been avoiding them for the last 2 years.
Her parents are old and shes is the one who's been trying to get her parents money back.
Is there anything that she can do to get her money back? I know he did not signed any kind of document when he got the money, but I sure he got the money by check since is was a large amount over $45,000 dlls.
Thank you.

Absent any PROOF, that is more than a check, or their word it was in anticipation of the guy wedding their daughter, the money is his to keep.
Most people, including the law calls that money a GIFT.
The daughter can do something about it, if she desires to do so. She can pay them money back to her parents, if it disturbs her enough.

As far as dude is concerned, he just clipped them suckas, yo.

Before you go much further with these people, and even consider marrying this woman yourself, it would behoove you to consider this incident as evidence of something, something rather odd.

This is most likely WHY her parents chose to give dude $45,00.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowry_system_in_India

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/170540/dowry

Unfortunately upon acclimating themselves to the old US traditions of TRICKERATION, SCAMMING, and SHAMMING; these ancient customs and traditions from other cultures tend to be modified to make them more western. In other words, think TRICK or TREAT.

Last edited:
As the other responders asked, was the money given with the stipulation they would get married? You might want to answer this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back