website concerns

ebonysix

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
[
I am the treasurer of a model flying club. There are several other committee members such as chairman, secretary etc.
About 6 months ago one of the committee members left, he was in charge of looking after our website. The website was already up and running when he took over this position. He altered links, added photos that members had taken etc.
This morning he emailed the club chairman asking us to take down the website. He said that he had legal advice and he wanted it taken down since he had created it. We are not sure what to do, the pictures and things on the site were not taken by him, we did not pay him to look after the website but it also did not cost him any money - just his time.
Does he have a right to ask us to take the site down

He has many rights.
Sure, he can ask, but if he did the work as a member of your club; you probably don't have to take it down.

That would remain so if your organization funded it.

However, if he maintained it, he might try to be vindictive and take it down himself.

I suggest you negotiate with him.

Try to find out why he's angry, and maybe offer him some money to make him go away happier.

Your other option is to discuss the matter with a local lawyer, or two.

[

Does he have a right to ask us to take the site down

If you can get into it and change the password and access codes so he can't get into it, I suggest you do that ASAP.

That he's asking you to take it down suggests that he doesn't have the ability to shut it down, but I suggest you make sure of that.

Once you have secured it you are free to tell him no. There's nothing to negotiate if he has no leverage.

Back