We borrowed a car to someone and they brought it back damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

friends

My husband let an acquaintance borrow the car. He brought it back with damage. He didn't tell us just dropped off the car. I don't know what happened, but it was bad enough to have the air bags deploy. Now we can't get a hold of him.

1. Will my insurance cover my claim, I have full coverage?
2. What about what he hit. What if he took out a pole or hit a guard rail? And God forbid what if he hit someone?

What do I do?

Your insurance is unlikely to pay for this.
Ask your friend nicely to pay for the damage. If he won't pay then your answer is in the civil court. Odds are that you will never see a dime and the cost of repairs will come out of your own pocket.
Keep things friendly and maybe you can get him to agree to periodic payments. It's better than nothing.

My husband let an acquaintance borrow the car. He brought it back with damage. He didn't tell us just dropped off the car. I don't know what happened, but it was bad enough to have the air bags deploy. Now we can't get a hold of him.

1. Will my insurance cover my claim, I have full coverage?
2. What about what he hit. What if he took out a pole or hit a guard rail? And God forbid what if he hit someone?

What do I do?

You have potentially TWO problems, maybe more.
Your car is damaged.
Your insurance company will advise you further, contact them.
If the person you loaned the car to was unlicensed (suspended or revoked), your problems will grow.
If the person borrowing your car hit another car and ran, or hit a person; the police must be alerted.
You might want to advise the local police of what occurred, and they might want to look at your car.
Let's say, for example, a hit and run occurred by a blue car.
Your car is blue.
The deadbeat that damaged your car may have been that hit & run driver.
If that happened, your legal problems have just grown.

Okay, let's stop speculating about who did what, and you can get busy investigating.

Yes, you can sue the deadbeat, but to what end?
He doesn't even own a car.
He borrowed yours.
If you sue him, its very unlikely you'd collect anything more than a few dollars.

You should always contact your car ins. co. & see what they "might" be able to do for you & go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back