Rent, Utilities Water shut off due to landlord nonpayment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glider4035

What recourse is available to a tenant whose landlord has not paid the water utilities resulting in the water being shut off for the tenant? The landlord has not responded to the tenant or water department. Although I understand that withholding of the rent or putting it in escrow is an option, the water department will not restart the water until the payment is made in full, which turns out to be about $2500. For a single mother with 4 children this is a very difficult situation. Being trapped between the landlord and the water department does not allow for many choices for immediate resolution.

I suggest you start with your local elected city official, mayor, or county supervisor.

You could contact the local health department, and seek their advice.

Another option might be your elected state representatives for your district (representative and/or senator).

You want to avoid court action. Why? It will take too long, unless your pockets are very deep.

See what happens with these suggestions, because one of these officials might not be able to help you, but they might know who can help.

I suspect your landlord is going bankrupt, or has money problems.

So, you might want to start looking for new digs, because things could get worse.

You're smart not to withhold rent. That is always an option, but if it's done incorrectly, it can cause bigger problems for your family.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

I have a similar situation, only I own my trailer house in a trailer court and the entire court is being shut off if owner doesn't pay. Water/Sewer is included in our lot rent. What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back