water bill issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

penneymt1

:confused: 12 yrs ago I moved on my parents land in a mobile home not moer than 50 foot behind them,I should say I was just getting over a divorce and had little money.My Dad hooked my water to theirs and told me as long as I paid half it would be fine,well he died in 95 and since then I've paid the entire bill myself for me and my mom,paid by check.My mom and myself live in each others homes all the time if shes not here I'm over there.We are both alone but want to keep our own places for privicey once in a while.A man at our church told me last week that this was illegal and I could go to jail,and now I'm a nervous reck.Could I go to jail for this?What should I do?I heard the town is going to upgrade the water system in the spring this year what should I do just leave it the way it is or what?PLEASE ADVISE ME !!I'm 46 and my mother is 70 so we are not teenagers.
Thanks for any advice,Penny

Sorry, but I'm not understanding how that can be illegal. The tapped line generates usage on the meter of the main line, which determines the amount of the bill for water usage for both residences; the bills have been paid in full and are current. How can this be illegal? It's not like you were getting "free" water, as the meter reads the combined usage. Was a permit required to tap the line? Does the water company prohibit line tapping that was authorized by the primary holder of the account? Do you and/or your mother currently own the property?

Answer to Malibo Barbie

My mom an dad purchased the 1 and 3/4 acres of land in 1974 and its been thiers since then.I don't remember my dad asking anyone about hooking up my water or any permits invovled.This is a very small community about 650 people and we are almost on the outskirts of town.In fact when they bought the place way back our property line was about 6 or 7 inches into the county which it has expanded to maybe 150 feet on down over the years.I guess I need to go and set up a water account of my own but I'm so afraid I'll be put in jail.The whole community knows me I grew up in this town,we rented for yrs til they bought their own land,but my nerves are so overdone as to what that man said in church I can't sleep or eat.My mom keeps asking me whats wrong and I say I'm just wore out.I'm taking a course from a technical school for medical transscript for a better job an dmy minds just not there.What should I say when I go down to open a water account in my name,Anyhting about the past or just say I want to get a water meter turned on in my name.Please Thank you for your advice,My parents came from the old country folks and they could never understand all the city junk my dad said,big city!------Penny:eek:

It sounds like there is 1 meter and you are paying the entire bill for both your mom's house and yours. Is the bill is in your mother's name? If you want your name on it just tell the water company to change the name on the bill. If you want to split out the 2 units into separate bills you will have to then get a plumber and permits and put a whole new water line in from the street so there is 2 separate township water connections. Is it really worth it do that? If there hasn't been any problems with you paying the bill-don't change it - you aren't doing anything illegal.
RA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back