Watching someone die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael619

Jurisdiction
California
This happened in Chula Vista. Alexandra and Richard used to be married but are divorced now and live in the same house. Alex is a diabetic. Richard watched her throw up blood for 2 days and did nothing to help her. Alex went into a diabetic coma and all Richard did was open all the windows in the house. Alex's daughter had to drive from Las Vegas to find Alex in a diabetic coma and call for help. The doctor said ten minutes longer and he couldn't save her. Is there a law where Alex can have Richard arrested for not helping her? Richard is a retired attorney and judge.

I'm not sure what "can have Richard arrested" means. Alex or her daughter is obviously free to contact the local police and report what happened, and the police will choose to investigate (or not) and choose whether or not to make an arrest.

It's worth pointing out that roommates do not have any legal duty to render medical aid to each other.

This happened in Chula Vista. Alexandra and Richard used to be married but are divorced now and live in the same house. Alex is a diabetic. Richard watched her throw up blood for 2 days and did nothing to help her. Alex went into a diabetic coma and all Richard did was open all the windows in the house. Alex's daughter had to drive from Las Vegas to find Alex in a diabetic coma and call for help. The doctor said ten minutes longer and he couldn't save her. Is there a law where Alex can have Richard arrested for not helping her? Richard is a retired attorney and judge.

If Richard is an attorney and judge, retired or not, Richard shouldn't have to ask about being arrested.

Alex threw up blood for two days and did nothing to help herself? Yikes. That seems incredibly stupid. The first time it happened she should have headed for the doctor.

She's got nothing to blame Richard for.

I agree there is no legal duty here.
This has more to do with ethics than law.
I don't believe there is anything to pursue based on the info given here.

I have new information regarding this. Alex and Richard are legally married still.

Did Richard conceal what was happening to his wife or prevent her from seeking treatment?

My wife has endured diabetes for the last 20 odd years.
She's a fighter, and does well.
A couple of weeks ago, she went into a diabetic coma.
I had seen it a couple of times, and each time it is more frightening.
She was hospitalized for a week.
She's better today.
I wouldn't allow a stranger to die, much less my spouse.
I am not a compassionate person, but I am a responsible person.
Upon reflection, the scenario offered is highly unlikely.
It is even more unlikely that if one engaged in such a heinous act, one would also brag, boast, or blab about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back