Was victim of hit and run...can't get other person's policy # to file claim

Janettarooooo

Jurisdiction
Utah
I was pumping gas at a gas station in Utah, when an obviously drunk or drugged up person ran into my car. I took pictures, and clear photo of his tag. He sat there with his head slumped, then stared at me and took off. Got the police report, vin # and name of registered owner, which was a Mexican name and driver was Mexican. Allstate was the insurer, but when I call, they refuse to do anything without the policy number. Now what am I supposed to do? I am not going through my insurance company since I canceled my comprehensive policy.

In all fairness, if your claim is against somebody with a common name like Jose Garcia (the Hispanic equivalent of John Smith), Allstate would have to go through thousands of policies to cross-reference the VIN.

Try the DMV and see if they have the policy record and will give you the policy number.

If the DMV won't release the information to you, you will have to sue Jose Garcia and hope he turns the lawsuit over to Allstate.

If he doesn't, once you have the lawsuit filed, you can subpoena the DMV's records and hope they can come up with a policy number.

Only you care about protecting your life and property.

Some people have others in their lives who will try to assist and protect others.

However, never rely upon any miscreant or ne'er do well to reimburse YOU for the damage, destruction, and devestation miscreants regularly dole out to innocents.

If you own and drive a motor vehicle, make sure you properly ensure it. If you rely on miscreants to make you whole, you'll die without the compensation you expected.

Only you care about protecting your life and property.

Some people have others in their lives who will try to assist and protect others.

However, never rely upon any miscreant or ne'er do well to reimburse YOU for the damage, destruction, and devestation miscreants regularly dole out to innocents.

If you own and drive a motor vehicle, make sure you properly ensure it. If you rely on miscreants to make you whole, you'll die without the compensation you expected.
Words to live by...

which was a Mexican name and driver was Mexican.

Why do you think this is even remotely relevant here?

Allstate was the insurer, but when I call, they refuse to do anything without the policy number.

How is it that you know who the insurer is and who the insured is but don't know the policy number?

Now what am I supposed to do?

Sue the driver.

I am not going through my insurance company since I canceled my comprehensive policy.

Ok...comprehensive coverage wouldn't cover this anyway. Do you have collision coverage?

Back