Was my husband discriminated against?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nncygddns

My husband has worked for this company for 3 years. It is family run, The owner and is two brothers are the bosses, the wives run the office, and many of the employees are cousins, nephews, sons, etc... My husband was never given an employee handbook and there seems to be no standard set of disciplinary action, so there is unequal treatment if you "have the right last name" or not.
After a number of major setbacks, my husband began seeing a doctor for depression and anxiety. As he was adjusting to different medications, he's work performance was affected. He informed his boss of his situation and explained why he was not 100% and that it would only be temporary. One morning, he was supposed to pick up equipment at 7:30. He overslept, and was told to bring his company vehicle in and have his wife follow him. I did, he was fired. He also brought his prescription meds with him to validate his reasons... When I found out he was fired, I walked in the office and asked for his reason for termination to be put in writing. His boss back tracked, said my husband to take 2wks off to adjust. He accepted that with no problem. 2wks turned into longer due to hand injury. When he returned, he was required to take a drug test... he did. And ever since his return he has been treated differently. There were 3 or 4 others in his position (most family members or fishing buddies, who where given the jobs first, and my husband was given the leftovers or sent home. Throughout his time working there, the time they started work frequently changed according to the owners whim... 7am, 7:30am, but it was more or less understood that you had to be there before 8am.
Last week, my husband approached his boss regarding unfair treatment. He felt that the other bosses treated him differently, like they were trying to get him to quit. It's hard to explain in just a few words. My husband was reminded to be at work by 7:30.
Monday, my husband left for work on time, but because of the nearby fires in Florida, the turnpike was backed up and moving slowly. He arrived at 7:50. He was fired on the spot, BEFORE two other employees arrived. My husband even made a copy of a timecard of one of the bosses "buddies" who ALWAYS clocks in at 8:30, but because they are friends, it's okay.
My husband did not have excessive absenses, nor tardiness. He always got calls from customers saying what wonderful service he provided. In all areas he was an exemplory employee. I feel like ever since the medical issues came out, they have been looking for a reason to fire him. If I hadn't asked for the reason in writing that first time, he would have been let go then.
Can he be terminated for reasons that other employees get away with because they have a personal relationship with the boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back