Was I wrongly terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

courtney012386

On april 27th @ 9:35 am i received an email from a fellow employee. I read the email but did not respond. On april 27th at around 11:00 am I was informed that per policy we are not supposed to read or respond to any personal emails. On april 27th at around 4:30 PM an email was sent out to the enitre workplace stating this. At the time I received the email the policy had not been communicated to us. On april 28th I was fired for my "intent" to reply to a personal email. When I received the email this policy had yet to be even created nor communicated to us for us to even have a chance to follow it. I searched high and low in our online database of hr policies and I also contacted hr and they had never heard of such a policy until I mentioned it. Was I wrongly terminated? I was fired for not adhering to a policy that didn't even exist when the incident occured. Did I forget to mention that I didnt reply to the email. I was fired for the intent to reply. It's like going into a store with the thought in your mind to steal something but you don't do it. The police cannot arrest you for the "intent" to steal. Please someone let me know was the fair.

The police certainly can arrest you for intent to steal. Nothing in your post remotely suggests a wrongful termination. Unless you were terminated for a violation of law, i.e. Title VII, ADA, public policy, etc..... it was legal.

you cannot arrest someone for thinking about stealing. If one did not attempt you cannot arrest. I did not even attempt to reply. The fired me because they believe I thought about replying. How can you terminate someone for breaking a rule that didn't exist until after the fact. It's like they made the rule jsut to have a reson to fire me. The person who sent the email did not receive any disciplinary action but supposedly we are not supposed to send or recceive.

They can terminate you becuase they don't the color of your shoes that day if they want. As I stated earlier, unless you are terminated because of a violation of law, then it is legal. You stated
The police cannot arrest you for the "intent" to steal
You made this statement, not me and the legal definition is - The perpetrator's frame of mind in committing an criminal act.

They most certainly can fire you for this, or any other reason they want. Keep any records you have from this incident so that you can submit them as exhibits during an unemployment claim.

On april 28th I was fired for my "intent" to reply to a personal email. When I received the email this policy had yet to be even created nor communicated to us for us to even have a chance to follow it. I searched high and low in our online database of hr policies and I also contacted hr and they had never heard of such a policy until I mentioned it. I was fired for not adhering to a policy that didn't even exist when the incident occured. Did I forget to mention that I didnt reply to the email. I was fired for the intent to reply. It's like going into a store with the thought in your mind to steal something but you don't do it. Please someone let me know was the fair.
What state is this? There are states that cases are won under the theory of implied contract, and others like CA. that recognize a duty of good faith and fair dealing in the work place. Under either theory you may have been wrongfully terminated, contact an employment attorney to see if your state is one of the good states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back