Was I a victim of discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00bie

I was called to the HR managers office on a wednesday, and informed that an allegation of sexual harassment had been made against me. The complaint stated that I was harassing this women and after getting a new position that she wanted, I told her she owed me. I denied saying this, and I explained that this women had asked me out, but as a supervisor I had told her a couple times that we shouldn't date. I am not her direct supervisor, but I still thought it wasn't a good idea. I tried to be a friend, and would have gone out in a group setting, but nothing more than that. After talking for two weeks I finally had to tell her that we couldn't talk outside of work, since she continually kept wanting to date me. About the same time I was notified that this person, and another worker were spending alot of time just hanging out, not truely working. I checked and found that these two workers were spending time together, not performing their work functions. I asked their direct supervisor to remind both workers not to hang out, and he stated he would. I have come to find out, that he is very friendly with these workers. The HR manager stated that he needed a statement from me, and that this wouldn't go any further. He also stated to stay away from this person. I agreed to this, and went about my day thinking this is over. I went straight back to work, wrote my statement, and emailed it to my HR manager and my operations assistant. I covered my belief that I thought this complaint was based on the fact that these two officers were spending time together, not working. This new position this women received was directly under me, and I believe she knows I am not going to give her a free ride on my shift. I did tell two other supervisors that I work with what was going on, since I thought this was over, and I was really upset. One of the other supervisors then told me that the same officer, had also made a sexual harassment complaint against another supervisor a couple weeks previous to her complaint against me. He also stated that he was in the room when the other supervisor and this officer were talking via radios. The supervisor was polite and was only doing his job asking questions. Later on the supervisor was talking to the officer in person and she complained saying, the other supervisor was rude on the radio, disrespectful to her, and she wanted to complain. The supervisor didn't state that he was in the room listening to the conversation between them, and knew she was not telling the truth. I asked if he had reported it, but he stated no. He stated that he would write a statement if needed. I just let it go, again, thinking this was over. Over the next couple of days I did continued to talk to the same two supervisors about my case.

On friday, I was notified by the operations assistant that I was to go back to my office area, turn my radio and company car keys over to another officer, and call the branch manager. From previous experience I knew I was fired or suspended. I did as I was instructed and called the branch manager. When I called her she stated that I was being suspended because of the complaint against me. She also stated that she needed a statement from me. I told her that I had sent my statement to the HR manager, and the operations assistant. She stated that the HR manager didn't get it. She stated that she would get it from the operations assistant. She also stated to me "How could you put yourself in this position". I thought this odd, that she would blame me for this situation. She stated that we could meet on monday at her office and talk about the complaint. I asked if the second officer who was goofing off is involved, and she stated yes she was. At this point I know these two had gotten together and set me up. So monday rolls around and I go to meet the branch manager and the HR manager. She asks all kinds of questions, and gives me a paper to sign, reminding me of the need for confidentiality and stating I am still suspended for three more days. I sign the paper, and go on my way thinking this will work itself out. That day I take my wife to catch a train. This train area is the place where the supervisors start each shift. I drop off my wife and am leaving the area, when I see one of the supervisors. I was surprised since it isin't the usual time for him to be there. He waves me over, so I stop and we talk. The third supervisor arrives and we continue to talk. We talked about alot of things, and I stated that I was still suspended. They already know what is going on from our previous coversations, so I don't add anything knew to our conversations.

A person I used to work with called me on tuesday, and tells me that the second worker who was goofing off, has told atleast one person at work that I am suspended. I send an email to the branch manager telling her of my concerns since this officer is involved in my case. She sends me an email stating she needs my phone records, to see how many times I have called this women at work. I get my records and send an email, detailing that I have called the complaintant six time over a 8 day period at work. So Thursday comes, and I still haven't heard from the branch manager. I waited until Friday, and I call the branch manager about 1500. She stated she was going to call me, and that she will call me on monday to update me. So monday comes, and she still hasn't called. I wait till 1705, and I call her. She tells me that we can meet on wednesday at 1000. I go to meet her, and she states that I am being terminated for telling the two other supervisors about my case, after she gave me the written notice. She states that the other supervisors gave her statements, and this is enough for her. At this point I don't say much, other than I went to drop my wife off at the train area, and that I told the other supervisors that I was suspended. I realize there is no point to say anything else, as she already is done signing my seperation papers. So I leave the office and put a call into the regional HR manager, since I belive I have been discriminated against. I also go to the internet and get the phone numbers of both other supervisors, as I want to know why they said things against me. I do have some idea, but I want to hear from them. I leave a message with one of the supervisors wife, asking him to call me when he gets home. The regional HR manager calls me about an hour later stating she will meet me on Monday, and asking me not to call any other employees until we meet. So obviously the supervisor I called, has called the branch manager, wanting to know why I called him. For some reason, he doesn't want to talk to me. So this is where I have the questions about discrimination. These are questions that the branch manager won't answer for me.

1.) Why was my case reopend after the HR manager stated it was done?

2.) I know the other supervisor who had the first sexual harassment complaint against him wasn't suspended, so why was I? The complaintant doesn't work on my shift, but she did work on his. This happened about a month ago.

3.) Did everyone involved have to sign a confidentiality paper? And if not, why did I? If so, why wasn't the other worker fired for telling someone I was suspended?

4.) I know of two other people in my area who violated the company policy on confidentiality, and there weren't fired, so why was I? I am sure the company will say because I had signed the paper, but these two other people were the operations manager and the area trainer. These people know the policy about confidentiality, because it is in the employee handbook. During a training session they both told alot of us why the previous branch manager and HR manager were fired, the things they were doing wrong, and other things they shouldn't have. They were given a reprimand or less, but definately not fired. This only happened about two months ago.

5.) Did I get fair treatment when the branch manager accused me of putting myself in this position at the start of the investigation?

6.) Since she didn't call me back, and I had to call her get answers, does this further my case for discrimination?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back