walmart return policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dputz123

My daughter received a gift from her grandma for xmas. it is an ipod connector for her car.long story short,it was not the right connector so she returned it with her gift receipt. walmart gave her back a store gift card instead of her refund that she wanted (because walmart did not carry the correct connector she needed to go elsewhere). I went back the next day to ask for a refund.customer service said they can only give store cards back not refunds on "gift receipts". I asked to talk to a manager and he said the same thing. I then asked where this policy was listed and he said on the "gift receipt".well,My daughter still had the gift receipt and it said no such thing.I then went back in to show the manager and he said "oh,I made a mistake but this is the policy". We were standing underneath the sign that lists the return policy and all it says is that returns will be refunded or exchanged within 30-45 days with a receipt (no mention of gift receipt or regular receipt it just said receipt) I asked about that and the manager said he did'nt know but refund was not an option. I asked him why would people even have gift receipts if this was the case as people give gift receipts to hide the price but giving the receiver an option to return if necessary. I have never had a store have an issue with a gift receipt ever.I am very p.o'd about this whole thing and the "too bad" attitude of the manager and very much want to take this as far as i can. Any Answers???

If you just want to get your way, (and I agree with you), look up the registered agent of walmart for your state. Send them a certified letter explaining your beef and that if they do not authorize a refund of cash that you will take them to small claims court. You will almost immediately get a refund of your cash.

Jharris, I don't know how you can be so certain? While it is possible they will refund the money with a big enough stink, it is certainly not a guarantee. From what I read, the store has the option of providing "store credit, cash, or credit to a credit or debit card" depending on the receipt. It makes sense for the retailer to offer store credit only. But, they have to weigh it in light of public relations and marketing and that is why I suspect they will provide the refund ... though, the connector is pretty cheap - maybe about $5 if just the cable to a ready device or a converter for about $40? Is that worth a small claims suit??

This is common. The grandmother, with the original store receipt, could get a cash refund. The daughter, with the gift receipt, will only get store credit.
I don't know that it is listed on the receipt itself, but it is certainly common policy on gift receipts for most stores.
The difference here is that the daughter is not the original purchaser and is not entitled to a cash refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back