Wal Mart fires no warning shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahenry7226

My friend has been fired by Wal Mart today for what I consider a very unfair reason but probably their way of eliminating people who don't move up the ladder of success. She was a cashier for 14 years and had a good record with no negative write-ups. She was at work yesterday and joking with another cashier (male) and happened to grab his buttocks in a joking manner. He laughed and they continued to joke around while working. The next day she was approached by the supervisor who advised her that she was terminated for the precious day's action. The individual who she touched did not file a complaint therefore another employee saw what happened and reported her. How about a letter of reprimand!!!

Jokingly? No. You do NOT touch another employee's private parts, EVER; it's just common sense. Doesn't matter that the touched employee didn't file a complaint. Someone else saw it. I don't even see this being unfair. I'm not a huge fan of this company, mind you, but in this case, I think they did exactly the right thing. Who's to say that the touched employee wouldn't change his mind at some point, then file an SH complaint? The employer is being proactive and, in this case, IMHO, prudently.

Why is it OK when a woman does that? If the situation was reversed and Walmart didn't fire the man there would be calls to sue Walmart. Grabbing the guy's butt was anything but harmless. Walmart did the right thing. I feel sorry for her but she is suffering from a very very poor decision.

I detest WalMart. I would like nothing better than to tell your friend that she has a valid case against them.

She does not. WalMart did exactly the right thing. This is not an unfair reason or a way of "eliminating people who don't move up the ladder of success". This was precisely what ANY company should do ANY time ANY employee inappropriately touches a co-worker, which is what your friend did. There is no requirement that someone have complained before they can take action. They not only can, but should, take action whenever an inappropriate action takes place regardless of whether someone complains or not.

If your friend worked for me, she'd have been out the door so fast her shoes would still be smoking a week later. And the same goes for anyone, man or woman, who did the same thing she did.

I also agree with the others, sexual harassment is not a joking matter. Even if the guy at this time did not report the offense, that does not mean it did not make him feel uncomfortable.

I am agreeing with the panel here.

Wally World did the exact right thing. God... do we really have to explain why playing grab ass with a co worker is a career limiting decision?

If he had grabbed her butt or breast in a joking manner, how would SHE have felt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back