Wages deducted for insurance not authorized

Status
Not open for further replies.

deacron

I have worked for a concrete contractor for over 18 years. I have been laid off due to lack of work as is with this job and area. I was collecting unemployment and periodicly working for the company, however indiana unemployment requires that I seek full time work while collecting bennefits.
I was fired for seeking employment, and on my final check I was deducted $156.75 for insurance that I had previously stated I did not want. I also NEVER signed anything authorizing any wages to be deducted. Is this legal? I am not so concerned about the money it is just this employer feels he is above the law and if any way I can I want to show him he isnt, and I want to protect other employees that are still unfortunatly stuck working for this guy.

Can anyone healp me?

I posted this thread awhile ago and have had over 20 views, is there anyone out there that may have any ideas on what I should do about this situation?

Thank you for reply.

No the wages were not taken out of my check. For over 10 years we had full company paid insurance for all of our dependents and our selves. I was told we were going to be losing our FREE insurance and we would have to pay for our dependents but the employees would continue to be covered for free. At a meeting I told my boss I could not afford to pay and was no longer interested in insurance for my dependents. The people who wanted the insurance were taken into a room seperatly to see a quote on thier cost, I never saw a quote or any type of coverage or who was covered. I simply stated I did not want it. I was laid off for our regular winter slow time, and when I did work a couple of times, I was deducted the money for insurance the same day I was let go because I was looking for work as indiana unemployment requires. Thank you for your reply.

You would have had to sign to start the coverage, and would have had to sign to end the coverage. Call your state wage and hour department and file a complaint for unauthorized deductions from your pay and they will investagate the matter. Google Department of Wage and Hour for Indiana and call them. They can answer this correctly. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back