Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Vop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabularasa

I was on conditional discharge for a year and had to pass urine tests accordingly, however I am on a pill called Marinol for bipolar disorder, which makes me test positive for THC. On my last day or conditional discharge, my probation officer informed me that my levels were too high to be due to the pill, so I am being sent back to court and most likely will be put on a year of probation and an outpatient drug program. I was wondering is there any point in me trying to fight this? Do I have any chance of winning or is it hopeless? Thank you for your time.

Can you prove that your Marinol prescription would put you at a sufficiently high level of THC to fail the test? If you simply got caught with your hand in the cookie jar, then maybe you should just suck it up.

Interesting that Marinol is not indicated by the FDA as having a use for bipolar disorder or anything related to it ... is this some kind of experimental procedure?

- Carl

It is not an experimental procedure; I travel to Manhattan to see my psychiatrist and he said that people with extreme bipolar disorder manage much better with THC in their system. All the research I have done states that it is mainly used to help treat nausea and rapid weight loss in cancer and AIDS patients, but I have to say no other medication has worked for me and I have been on them all....this seems to be keeping me relatively level. Thank you for your quick response. I do not have the money to afford a lawyer; do you think I should plead guilty or not guilty?

Not my call to make as to whether you should plead or not as I don't know the strength or weakness of the probation officer's case against you. As this is a probation issue, I doubt that you will get assigned counsel, but that may be the process in your state. if you are assigned counsel, you should consult with him or her.

- Carl

It's called off-label when people prescribe a drug that is specific for something different. .

Is there a possibility you took more Marinol than usual, even by a Doctor's orders, for when you were tested?

I would definately fight it. Marinol doesn't give a false positive, as it is THC, it's a true positive! It's also probably fairly rare that Marinol comes up in court proceedings, so the Judge and others may not be FULLY aware of it.

Good Luck, please let us know how it turns out.

It depends on the test and the concentration.

- carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back