Visiting Canada with Expunged DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkitty

Less than 48 hours before we travel to Canada, just found out DUI will get denied entry. It was in the state of CA, occurred about 4 years ago, but was expunged. At this point, will the document proving it was expunged be sufficient at customs to allow entry? It does not look like we'll have time to apply for proof of rehabilitation. And we're only going for a wedding, so will only be there for less than 3 days.

Thank you

Expunged DUI in California, visiting Canada

Less than 48 hours before we travel to Canada, just found out DUI will get denied entry. It was in the state of CA, occurred about 4 years ago, but was expunged. At this point, will the document proving it was expunged be sufficient at customs to allow entry? It does not look like we'll have time to apply for proof of rehabilitation. And we're only going for a wedding, so will only be there for less than 3 days.

Thanks!

Thanks!

It's up to Canadian authorities.
An expungement isn't a pardon.
Canadian authorities will interview you, maybe.
I've only known of one person out of about 30-40 (in a similar circumstance) ever being denied entry.
Ultimately it's their call, so be pleasant, be honest, and you're likely to not be denied.
The one exception I know about got snappy and became gruff and surly with his responses.

Should proof of expungement be brought along just in case? Or will it show up already in their systems?

Should proof of expungement be brought along just in case? Or will it show up already in their systems?

If I were you, I'd bring copies of my proof.
Theoretically, they'll see your entire case history, but sometimes systems fail.

Last edited:
If they start to deny you, promise you will not drive during the time you are there. Have your spouse drive when crossing. It has no effect of law, but is a sincere gesture on your earnestness to obey their laws.

If they start to deny you, promise you will not drive during the time you are there. Have your spouse drive when crossing. It has no effect of law, but is a sincere gesture on your earnestness to obey their laws.

We are actually flying there. We have a stopover in Chicago, and go to Toronto from there. He called the Canadian border and they said he didn't need to bring his proof (1. he can't find the original doc, and 2. office was closed by time he got off work today and 3. it's closed tomorrow and we leave tomorrow night)

One of my friend had a similar problem once. He consulted with his DUI lawyer for the issue and I think his lawyer gave him a good consultation and how to speak up in front of authorities and his visa got cleared without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back