Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant visit mississppi on vacation leave on probation

Status
Not open for further replies.

karim

Myself and female companion were traveling down 49 north in mississippi when she was pulled over by a MADISON COUNTY sheriff. The reason he gave for the stop was that "she was driving too close to the vehicle that was in front of her" (a vehicle that was slowing down traffic by not doing the speed limit in the fast lane.) Personally I believed otherwise but I digress Once we stopped the officer asked me the passenger to step out asked if there were any weapons or drugs in the car and then patted me down then asked the female driver to step out and asked if it was okay to search the car , (never being involved with the law with so much as a speeding ticket she didnt know wat to say so she never responded) so he decided to search anyway and lied on the police report and said that she gave consent during the search they found a small amount (approx 7grams or less) of marijuana in the back seat on the floor inside a coffee mug, at that time they asked if there we're any more drugs in the car and I told him yes that there was a marijuana cigarette in the door handle of the passenger side. The officer then went her purse and found $4100 and asked me if I had any large sums of money on me at which time I told him I had $500 in my wallet. Note: this writer was exonerated on a murder charge I didnt commit in which I was released after doin 16 1/2 years. The relevance to tht is that im in litigation and receive large pre settlement loans in which I have bank statements of withdraw to show I took that money out before our road trip from las vegas which is where we travelled from to jackson ms on way to miami fl. Meanwhile the officer then search the trunk if the vehicle and finds a backpack that is said to contain a scale, jars, and a baggie. We explained that it was not our car and that though we do take responsibility for marijuana found in backseat(this writer holds a medical marijuana card) we had absolutely no knowledge of the contents in the bag in the trunk, however they are attempting to use those contents to enhance a simple "possession of marijuana" to an attempt to distribute. They are doing so to try to seize the money $4600 in total and try to squeeze us into pleas that will constitute felony convictions. We were given $250,000.00 bonds a piece considered a flight risk because we not locals then we had to pay a lawyer $1500 each just to get the bond reduced to $60,000 each which we had to pay a bailbondsman $6,000 each!!! This happen nov 2013 now we back down in this money hungry town fightin the case. Does anyone know enough about mississippi law regarding if the search of that trunk was valid or if we could be held accountable for knowledge of something in that trunk

By the way the car was returned to the owner and he was never asked about contents of car at all.

Myself and female companion were traveling down 49 north in mississippi when she was pulled over by a MADISON COUNTY sheriff. The reason he gave for the stop was that "she was driving too close to the vehicle that was in front of her" (a vehicle that was slowing down traffic by not doing the speed limit in the fast lane.)

First of all, MS does not honor other states alleged marijuana cards.
Therefore, possession of weed in MS is going to be a problem.

I suggest you avail yourself of your right to remain silent.
You continue to work with your lawyer ONLY to address these charges.

You both will be better off, IF your trials were severed.

You do yourselves a favor by having different attorneys, too.

Absent a "No, I refuse consent to search my vehicle!", I see nothing improper about the search.

I don't think its smart for anyone to carry items that are considered CONTRABAND in other states.

Your arrests and convictions are available to the persecutors, even if your records indicate deferred or expunged information to the public.

I'd say the result could be devastating for you.

You'll have to prove the source of the money to ever see it again.

Finally, MS prisons are notorious GULAGS; along with GA, AL, TX, LA, and much of the southern US.

I wish you luck, and suggest you edit your original post to PROTECT your identity and rights.

@ aj your comment and advice is very well appreciated . The possession is no cocern thus im aware that all states dont honor the mm card therefore I only carry wat I may need during trip and be prepared to deal with the possession charge in event I am stop by a non understandin officer. However intent to distribute is what they want because of contents in trunk. One last thing what in my post do you feel may jeopardize our rights or privacy...just curious. Thx

@ aj your comment and advice is very well appreciated . The possession is no cocern thus im aware that all states dont honor the mm card therefore I only carry wat I may need during trip and be prepared to deal with the possession charge in event I am stop by a non understandin officer. However intent to distribute is what they want because of contents in trunk. One last thing what in my post do you feel may jeopardize our rights or privacy...just curious. Thx

First of all, its always best to use "my friend", "this guy I know"; never make it you.

If you do make it YOU, try to be generic.

You'd be surprised how many persecutors troll the web.

The mere possession of contraband is enough to get you charged, and often convicted.

You were on a long trip, borrowed a car, and claim to not know what was in the trunk.

I've tried many cases, and a jury ain't gonna buy that "I didn't know it was there" argument.

Its like borrowing a suitcase and a 9MM is found inside of it at the airport.

Again, silence does you MORE good than offering an explanation.

The persecutor has the burden of proving you knew it was there.

By offering an explanation you permit the persecutor to focus on your explanation, not his burden.

Its been my observation that criminal defendants talk too much.

All anyone should ever say, is I'm not guilty, I wish to avail myself of my Miranda protections, and I'd like to call my lawyer, or have one appointed to represent me.

By the way, the $1,500 you paid to that lawyer to get your bail reduced was a bargain.

In my area, that costs you at least $3,000, sometimes $5,000.

That's the one bright side of this sordid saga.

By the way, when you beat THEM, try to avoid THEM.

They'll always have it out for you.

Last edited:
The search sounds completely legitimate. When the officer indicated his intent to search someone should have spoken up and refused. Saying nothing can be seen as implied consent.
Having found drugs in the passenger area the officer had more than enough to justify his continued search of the vehicle. No warrant was needed if that is what you were thinking.
The presence of the scale and jars is very damaging. The driver has more responsibility for the contents of the car, but they can certainly charge you both.
You will likely end up taking a lesser plea offer before it is all over. Work with your attorney for the best outcome.
This certainly is not about the money. The amount is very insignificant. The scale is your biggest problem, but the presence of all those things together makes for a convincing case against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back