VIN number slightly different

wigditty

About a year ago I purchased a classic car from a friend and was told that the VIN number was different on the paperwork then what was on the car. The car has been registered with the wrong VIN for over a decade. The actual number on the car is only slightly different because it looks like the DMV employee entered it wrong when it was sold to my friend. Here's a example if the actual vin was 5f0E0940613, the registration number was input as St0E094O6L3. Obviously these numbers aren't from my car or paperwork, but it's easy to see how the mistake was made by a DMV drone worker. What's my best course of action for getting everything correct?

Go to the DMV and they will guide you. It will most likely require a physical VIN inspection and/or the DMV will request the microfilm record of the prior documents.

Agree. Take the car and all your paperwork to the DMV.

Or, find a time machine, go back to just before you bought it, and don't buy it.

The incorrect VIN probably does not make sense according to the VIN codes. They will likely easily identify the error and correct it with an inspection of the vehicle.
I doubt you will have much trouble... Other than having to deal with the DMV at all.

About a year ago I purchased a classic car from a friend and was told that the VIN number was different on the paperwork then what was on the car.

This was the point where you should have walked away from the deal or told your friend that you'd consider buying the car only if he fixed this.

What's my best course of action for getting everything correct?

Contact the DMV.

This was the point where you should have walked away from the deal or told your friend that you'd consider buying the car only if he fixed this.

Contact the DMV.

The person who sold me the car wasn't some guy on Craigslist, it was a lifelong father figure so I trust him. The vins are obviously a typo made by a DMV employee that wasn't paying attention.

The person who sold me the car wasn't some guy on Craigslist, it was a lifelong father figure so I trust him.

Trust is all well and good, but I don't see what you trusting him has to do with this situation. An obvious problem existed, and a prudent person would not have gone through with the transaction without this obvious problem being fixed first. Trust works both ways, and it is precisely because you trusted this "lifelong father figure" that he should have been more than willing to do what was needed to fix the problem. In fact, if he's really worthy of your trust, he ought to be willing to help you get this situation resolved even now, after you've bought the car.

If in fact it was a typo by the DMV then the DMV will look at the records, see their mistake and they will correct it. End of problem. There isn't anything else that anyone can do at this point. Absence of a time machine being assumed.

Thanks for your responses. I called DMV and have an appt. to bring all my paperwork with car down for an inspection and fix the issue.

Thanks for your responses. I called DMV and have an appt. to bring all my paperwork with car down for an inspection and fix the issue.

You'll soon learn the truth.

Let us know what you learn.

God speed, good luck.

Back