Victim of Idea Theft (MTV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay10

Below is a pitch I sent to MTV on Jan 2, 2005, below that is a synopsis of their new show American Best Dance Crew. I feel they have lifted substanial and integral material from my idea. The concept is the same and there are several similarities. Please advise if I have any legal recourse for my idea. Below is list of producers that were sent idea. Please advise thank you for your time.

Mickey Ireland Stuart Cohn Carol Eng
MTV Development Coordiantor Series Development Senior VP

Writers Guild Reg. No. 1006038
Author: Clayton Woodbury
Title: Def Dance Jam
Format: 1hr
Concept: Hip Hop Street Dance Competition
Treatment:
This is a show where hip hop dance teams face-off against each other. The teams will be
performing at the same time creating more of an competitive edge. The competition
would consist of five minute eight team face-off battles until there is one winner. The
crowd would choose winner by applause. The show would qualify seven teams to
compete against the winner each week. A dj would provide banging hip hop beats. A
$1,000.00 dollar prize would be awarded each week to winner. A street credible host
would mc show. The show would contact hip hop clothing designers as sponsors (Phat
Farm, Sean John, Rocawear etc.) and ask them to sponsor the top dance acts to fashion
there clothing line during competition.

American Best Dance Crew - MTV

Eight dance crews of five to seven members each go through strenuous rehearsals and arduous challenges in a bid to win a touring contract and cash prize. Former 'N Sync member JC Chasez and choreographer Shane Sparks provide feedback to the various crews, while viewers vote for their favorites online or via phone and text message. The two weakest teams as determined by the voting go into a "battle zone" to bust their best moves for the judges, who determine which team advances to the next round and which one is eliminated.

I know a lot of the folks at MTV, including in their legal department which I visited in May at the Times Square headquarters. At least the ones I know are very straight, intelligent and honest people.

There are some similarities between your show and theirs but it is far from conclusive that they stole your idea - and whether it is even protectible is highly questionable. Is this patent? Copyright? (Ideas aren't copyrightable.)

Perhaps you should discuss it with the Writers Guild - or think about whether it is worth it to potentially burn some bridges. In this age of a nauseating supply of reality TV shows including dance, MTV's defense is easy. Are you thinking that having eight 5-8 member teams is enough to say that they "stole" your show? I think it's tenuous at best.

Best of luck to you and, in the future, it may make sense to consider good precautions and strategy if you believe you've got something of value that you don't want used by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back