Very strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuppete

Here's the story sad but true.

When My "husband" got ready to get married 7 years ago after waiting 2 years for my divorce to be final we searched for his divorce decree from 10 years prior. We found the property settlement, the lawyer payments, the letters back and forth, plus the court statement requiring a 2 year waiting period due to special circumstances of his "ex" being incapacitated. But no decree. We petitioned for a search. but it would not be returned before our marriage date. We got " married" in a unity ceremony by a minister friend of ours the following week.

The next week the search came back no decree. Contacted the lawyers office to find that he was deceased, after research his son found the records and also that his father had passed in the same time frame of the divorce and it seems it never got filed, paid not filed though.

We contacted our attorney and were told there was nothing he could do about the prior situation but he could rectify it now. however their was the cost issue and the pride issue since we are bother respected members of the community and my pride would not allow the postings in the paper etc and explaining. We thougt we would solve it some other way, or another time, etc.

We have no contact with the X nor know where she is. They were only together 3 months until he found her in an adulterous position with his best friend. They separated 5 months later. that was 17 years ago.

What are the options? is there even a reason other than social security to fix the situation? I have 2 children that regard him as father but they are 16 and 15 having decided long ago that they were not interested in adoption or changing their names. So that is not an issue.

We have all our assests in both names as well as the insurances policies properly issued.

No one knows any different. It's a take it to the grave secret.

Should it be a lying dogs lie?

Originally posted by tuppete:
Here's the story sad but true.

When My "husband" got ready to get married 7 years ago after waiting 2 years for my divorce to be final we searched for his divorce decree from 10 years prior. We found the property settlement, the lawyer payments, the letters back and forth, plus the court statement requiring a 2 year waiting period due to special circumstances of his "ex" being incapacitated. But no decree. We petitioned for a search. but it would not be returned before our marriage date. We got " married" in a unity ceremony by a minister friend of ours the following week.

The next week the search came back no decree. Contacted the lawyers office to find that he was deceased, after research his son found the records and also that his father had passed in the same time frame of the divorce and it seems it never got filed, paid not filed though.

We contacted our attorney and were told there was nothing he could do about the prior situation but he could rectify it now. however their was the cost issue and the pride issue since we are bother respected members of the community and my pride would not allow the postings in the paper etc and explaining. We thougt we would solve it some other way, or another time, etc.

We have no contact with the X nor know where she is. They were only together 3 months until he found her in an adulterous position with his best friend. They separated 5 months later. that was 17 years ago.

What are the options? is there even a reason other than social security to fix the situation? I have 2 children that regard him as father but they are 16 and 15 having decided long ago that they were not interested in adoption or changing their names. So that is not an issue.

We have all our assests in both names as well as the insurances policies properly issued.

No one knows any different. It's a take it to the grave secret.

Should it be a lying dogs lie?
Honestly, I don't know the exact answer. There are issues that do arise unless clearly delineated and that can change over time -- a relationship today might not be the same in 5 years. As husband and wife there are laws and rights that do apply with regard to distribution of assets. One cannot be legally married to two people at the same time and you are the second "wife" in this situation. What did your lawyer say about this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back