Consumer Fraud Verizon Data Meter Anomolies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tafari

Banned
I went into a verizon wireless store August of 2012 and ordered home fusion internet ($120 for 30GB) for ONE computer in the house, because, I live in a rural area an not one single other company can supply me with internet. Not Because I am not aware of the high cost they promoted. I was sold on a rebate for the $199.00 install fee they said would be automatically taken out in the next billing cycle. So, they sent out a third party installer who almost got shot by my neighbor and called the police because he jumped their fence (with a no trespassing sign) looking for my address. He had no verizon badge, shirt, or logo, visible on him or his car.

After installing the service worked well for the first 60 days. But before things went haywire and shady, I called in to get my password, because the installer didn't leave me that information, and the customer service representative (csr) didn't even know what home fusion internet was and asked if it was verizon service. This continued to happen several (maybe the next 5 or 6) times after that.

Amongst this tumultuous experience I also realized a month went by, and no rebate they promised, then two (figured patience for error), three, and then I called in and they didn't know what rebate I was talking about and also seemed ignorant to the 50% overage allotment (if you have 30GB you get an extra 15GB) for the first two months, as I seen the charges appear on my bill. After a long conversation (amongst hours wasted on the phone even up to this point and many more after) with this ordeal they finally said the rebate would come. Then they only rebated $120, not the full amount.

Ok to the point to keep things short and simple. The shady part: I began experiencing extremely high data usage and it was not reflecting on my meter online when I would check our usage. I called in after two months of extremely high usage, $400-500 bills, and explained to them I am not using the data I am being charged for. In the month of march I had $180 in overage date charges. That month I closely monitored with app meter I was told to download online to keep on the desktop for convenience, and I fallowed it right up to 29 GB and stopped using the internet and then, the bill came with the bogus data charges, and it was twice as much as the meter detected. The next month I then watched the verizon meter on their website they provided ME and the anomalies with their overage data charges continued. Their very own meter on the verizon website they provide for us to refer to with our billing statement. It never reflected what data was being used, if we were even really using the data in the first place. They continue to play stupid when I ask about it on the phone and turn the situation cleverly around on me. Today for the first time I discovered, underneath the verizon meter, in very small print it says I've used 23.99 GB, "estimate as of 5/24. So since then as of today my meter hasn't changed (I wouldn't have known without reading the small print beneath it), BUT I did discovered I have used 31GB only in a small graph you have to click through several windows to get to, but it is only a rounded number not an exact reflection of my current data usage. So as of now I do not know exactly how much data I am using. Is that Illegal or something? Don't we have that right to know how much data we are using? How can the biggest cell phone company not be able to provide customers with a way of knowing exactly (streamline) and watch how much data they use. Also to add, I have also caught the browser on the wrong account phone number to display the wrong data usage, and I WAS click on the right account as it was highlighted as if so.

I have page pictures to prove this mistake and shady meter. I have no other devices using data, I am very tech savvy (engineering degree), and so I am not ignorant to computer management, especially with our home computer.

Last edited:
Is it possible that someone you haven't authorized is using your service?

People do hack into wireless services these days.

You don't have any legal recourse here, you appear to have customer service issues.

Write a letter to the CEO of Verizon, not an email, but a letter.

That usually gets a response, sometimes you get helped.

You can complain to the state regulatory agency.

Or, just cancel the service.

There are many others that do more for much less.

Google it.

Army Judge - Is it possible that someone you haven't authorized is using your service?

I have a password protected network and I am sure no one knows my password!

Another two concerns I forgot to mention: I signed up for message data alerts, to have a message sent to my cell phone when I reach 50%, 75, 90, 100% data usage, and this month I did not receive ONE single data alert. The next thing I forgot to mention. Is, my service was shut off due to not being able to pay the large data usage. When it was returned on I was told my contract didn't change, and they did change my method of being charged. This month it was shut off again, and when it returned on, it didn't change when I returned service. So there seems to be some kind of inconsistency with how they restore service and charge for data.

So the main concerns to re-iterate is;

1. I have no way as a consumer to track my data usage.

2. I have been charged for data I am not using

3. I have not received any data alerts I prompted on the verizon web site

4. My contract changes to favor more charges when service is restored

If these reasons alone cant be enough for legal recourse, then I wonder what rights we as consumers have to protect ourselves from corporate thievery, shady business practice, and super complex contracts that reduce to a scam for more profit. I know this is my philosophical opinion, and not relevant to my argument, BUT, If a corporation can act as a person, but a person has no rights to protect herself from these corporations demonic business practices, then our country has sold out, and we as citizens are in severe trouble when it comes to consumer rights, and our basic rights guaranteed to us by our founding fathers, and our birthright. If corporations are people, then they obviously corporations are the big fat, greedy bully, who will go on to harm others and end up dead or in jail. So, I will continue to seek how to punch this bully back in the face.

Oh yes, Army Judge, please elaborate on how this is a customer service issue??? Not sure if I agree. Anybody else agree?

People can and do hack accounts.
Has yours been hacked?
I don't know.

Someone you trust could also be exceeding your allotment.
I don't know.

It seems that Verizon isn't valuing your patronage.
If they were doing that to me, I'd cancel the service and spend my money where it was appreciated.

Verizon doesn't care about me or you. They don't have to care, they're Verizon. Just like government, they're the 21st century nobles. We're the unwashed rabble to them.

Be civil, as I was to you.
I didn't force you to post here.
You are free to sue Verizon.
Take them to small claims and prove what they've done to break laws.
Or, hire a lawyer to sue them.
You can also complain about them to the regulatory agency in your state.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back