Verified petittion to Modify child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsley

My ex husband's attorney sent me Verified Petition to Modify Child Support; paperwork and my only real question is do I need to hire a lawyer; my oldest daughter is 21 and my youngest is 18; he has paid $37.50 per child per week since we have been divorced (16 years now), and was to continue until my youngest turned 21. This was lower than the minimum in my state, Indiana, but I agreed to it, which is fine. I struggled and never asked to raise the support. Now that my youngest is in college, he wants to re-visit the decree so he doesn't have to pay half of her college bill which was agreed to in the initial decree.

I don't want to mess with him, if he doesn't want to pay, so be it, I've supported my children all these years with obviously little help from him and raised two wonderful daughters, not pregnant, not on drugs, and both getting higher education.

My question, do I have to hire a lawyer to tell them I don't care what they do or can I just ignore the paperwork?

In Indiana, the law states that you have to pay support until 21. Unless you can prove certain things like:

(1) they are 18
(2) are not enrolled in high school or college for four months prior to when you file for child's emancipation
(3) is or is capable of working
(4) married
(5) joined armed force

They do have a provision for paying for college expenses. You should contact an attorney just to find out your rights. Most attorneys will give you a consultation which usually doesn't cost very much. Look up Indiana's child support guidelines.

I guess if you want to agree to your ex's lawyer but I would look for your rights first. I hope this helps a little.

Good Luck,
gearhart7

thank you very much, your reply is greatly appreciated.....I will take your advice and at least consult with an attorney......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back