Verbally abusive parents

Aljan2000

Jurisdiction
Michigan
My parents have been I'd say verbally abusive since I was in grade 6. My mother calls me fat religiously as well as questions everything I eat. My parents I would call helicopter parents they track my every move they don't let me leave the hourglass unless they can track me they still make me go to bed at 10. This summer my father has made me work at his work as well as my other job which for two weeks now I've worked everyday almost 13 hours with only one day off. Today I decided to ask for a day off and he threatened to fire me then took away my car that I bought myself and pay for myself. In order to get away from the arguing cause my dad spent the next hour telling me to grow up I told him I would be staying with my friend and when I got off work my car was gone and he was there to pick me up he won't let me leave the house I feel like there constantly verbally abusing me my best friends parents have offered me a place to stay multiple times but my parents will not let me even leave the house what do I do I can't take it anymore because of this abuse over the years I have had suicidal thoughts I have starved myself and I cry myself to sleep many many nights is there anything I can do to get out of this place

is there anything I can do to get out of this place

Yes, there is one thing that will liberate you forever.
Actually there are THREE things, TWO of which you might enjoy even less than your parent's home.

One, you can wait until you become an adult.
At one second after midnight on your 18th birthday, you can walk away from the home of your parents, and never look back.

Two, you can commit a crime, preferably a felony. Now, I am NOT advising you to commit ANY crime. I am saying that if you commit a crime, the police will arrest you, and that will take all control over you from your parents. However, you might not enjoy your stay at a county jail, and eventually a state prison.

Three, you can keep misbehaving, forcing your parents to take you to juvenile court and ask the judge to declare you DELINQUENT. Running away from home repeatedly will also cause a similar result. The state will place you in one of their luxurious group homes for wayward "UTES", and you could end up staying there until you "age out" maybe age 18, maybe age 21.

Think this over carefully, and make a very wise choice.

Last thing, buddy.

Juveniles usually don't know this, but you can't legally own anything until you become an adult.
You work, and your parents are entitled to all of your earnings.
I was a minor once, it was true for me then, and true for you today.
Some people say being a child or minor is akin to indentured servitude.
Some go so far as to say, being a child is the same as being a slave.

Good luck, adult in training person.

Your parents are right, you are wrong. This is the way things are.
This is not remotely close to anything that would get you emancipation.
The car is not yours. Until you are 18 EVERYTHING you think is yours belongs to your parents.
You need to try and relax, do the things you are asked to do, and smooth things over with your family so you might earn some privileges back.

You not only have not posted anything to suggest that you qualify for emancipation, you have posted several things that would cause any petition to be denied outright.

My mother calls me fat religiously as well as questions everything I eat.

Calling you fat isn't cool, but monitoring a child's diet is a critical part of a parent's job.

they don't let me leave the hourglass unless they can track me

The hourglass??

they still make me go to bed at 10.

Oh the horror! Keep in mind that you didn't bother to tell us how old you are.

my other job which for two weeks now I've worked everyday almost 13 hours with only one day off.

That probably violates child labor laws.

I'm not going to try and read past the point where you stopped using capitalization and punctuation.

is there anything I can do to get out of this place

Yes. Turn 18. With the exception of your boss at your "other job" requiring you to work as much as you described, nothing you described is even remotely illegal.

How old are you now? What are these jobs?

If you are under 18, you do not get to decide where you live, when you may visit a friend, when you should be allowed to take the car out, what time you go to bed, or whether or not your parents should know where you are at all times. They are legally responsible for you.

Your alternative, if you are truly in an abusive household, as opposed to one where you just don't like the rules, is to contact CPS. If it is bad enough, they will remove you from the home and place you with a foster family.

Otherwise, talk to your parents about the things they do that bother you in a calm, rational manner at a time when you aren't at odds. If you have another adult in your life you can approach who might speak to your parents on your behalf (aunt, grandparent, close family friend, minister, etc.) explain what is happening and see if they will intervene. Talk to your guidance counselor at school.

My parents have been I'd say verbally abusive since I was in grade 6. My mother calls me fat religiously as well as questions everything I eat. My parents I would call helicopter parents they track my every move they don't let me leave the hourglass unless they can track me they still make me go to bed at 10. This summer my father has made me work at his work as well as my other job which for two weeks now I've worked everyday almost 13 hours with only one day off. Today I decided to ask for a day off and he threatened to fire me then took away my car that I bought myself and pay for myself. In order to get away from the arguing cause my dad spent the next hour telling me to grow up I told him I would be staying with my friend and when I got off work my car was gone and he was there to pick me up he won't let me leave the house I feel like there constantly verbally abusing me my best friends parents have offered me a place to stay multiple times but my parents will not let me even leave the house what do I do I can't take it anymore because of this abuse over the years I have had suicidal thoughts I have starved myself and I cry myself to sleep many many nights is there anything I can do to get out of this place

Wait until you have kids...

Now no parents should call their kids fat as that doesn't help even if the kid is overweight.

But giving you a bedtime...that's what normal parents do even in the summer. 10 is pretty reasonable actually.

Oh no your dad is making you learn responsibility??? Just because you paid for the car you don't own it. Whose name is on the title or the registration?

If your friend's parents are smart they will stay out of this. Have you ever talked to a counselor at school? What else do they say that is so verbally abusive you want to kill yourself? Yes saying your fat is messed up. Have you talked to them about how you feel?

If you are legitimately being abused you report it. It doesn't really sound like you are. You can wait until you're 18 and then you can do what you want. But you cannot get emancipated.

My guess is that you are around 16 or 17 years old. My guess is that more than 1/2 of children in that age bracket think their parents are abusive when they are mostly just parenting. Talk to a counselor at school. Talk to your parents about getting other counseling for yourself and perhaps them with you. Do your best to get along until you are 18 and can completely support yourself. It's not that easy to completely support yourself.

Back