Verbal Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

edh_

My wife and i verbally agreed with the landlords of a condo unit that we would rent their place effective 1 Dec 04. We even gave a $1400 check for the first month.
Well, after numerous calls back and forth, their place wasn't going to be ready by the 1st and we had to pass on it.
The landlords now say that we broke the agreement, note, there was no written agreement. This was all done verbally and in good faith. And thus, they do not want to return our monies. Can they do this?

edh said:
My wife and i verbally agreed with the landlords of a condo unit that we would rent their place effective 1 Dec 04. We even gave a $1400 check for the first month.
Well, after numerous calls back and forth, their place wasn't going to be ready by the 1st and we had to pass on it.
The landlords now say that we broke the agreement, note, there was no written agreement. This was all done verbally and in good faith. And thus, they do not want to return our monies. Can they do this?

They have no recourse against you, IMHO. If they try to take you to court they will have no agreement to point to either. You should send them a written letter, certified return receipt, that if they don't return the money you will sue them for the $1,400 and for damages and pursue all legal remedies that may be available to you. In general, never provide money without receiving a receipt or a copy of the lease...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back