Verbal agreement with dealership

oilad

Jurisdiction
Nevada
I leased a car and stated up front that I didn't want to put any money down and that I wanted the left over value of my trade-in to be refunded to me. Basically I would just be selling them the car. We agreed that my car was worth 10,000 with a 6,600 loan payoff and that I'd receive a check for the difference ($3,400). I wanted the check up front but the sales manager and finance guy both said that they wouldn't be able to give me the money until the title was received from the finance company. Both of them, in addition to another sales manager, assured me that once the title was received I would be given a check for $3,400. I also audio recorded the conversation I had with the finance guy who is heard stating the terms of the deal and assuring me it would be upheld. He made a copy of the of the paper I and the sales manager signed agreeing to the terms but this was somehow left out of the stack of paperwork I was given in the end.

Three weeks later my car is paid off but I was never given a check for $3400 and no one is returning my phone calls. Do I have any recourse?

Thank you for your time

I leased a car and stated up front that I didn't want to put any money down and that I wanted the left over value of my trade-in to be refunded to me. Basically I would just be selling them the car. We agreed that my car was worth 10,000 with a 6,600 loan payoff and that I'd receive a check for the difference ($3,400). I wanted the check up front but the sales manager and finance guy both said that they wouldn't be able to give me the money until the title was received from the finance company. Both of them, in addition to another sales manager, assured me that once the title was received I would be given a check for $3,400. I also audio recorded the conversation I had with the finance guy who is heard stating the terms of the deal and assuring me it would be upheld. He made a copy of the of the paper I and the sales manager signed agreeing to the terms but this was somehow left out of the stack of paperwork I was given in the end.

Three weeks later my car is paid off but I was never given a check for $3400 and no one is returning my phone calls. Do I have any recourse?

Thank you for your time

It would be better if you had ALL of that in writing.

You might be able to get the money, using the recording by suing the company in small claims.

I wouldn't tell them you have the recording.

I'd simply file a small claims lawsuit in accordance with your state laws and county protocols.

I'm not optimistic.

The contract you signed and took home with you is the deal you made and it's the deal you get to live with.

You recorded "this" but you signed "that" which means you agreed to "that" in spite of the recording of "this."

Read your contract. 1 - I bet the figures work out to where you don't get back $3400 and 2 - Find the fine print that says the contract is the only agreement and anything said outside the contract doesn't count.

Make a personal visit. It often takes more than 3 weeks to get a title once a loan is paid off, so it's possible they are still waiting on the title.

Thank you for your time

Anything involving money get it in writing!!!

It probably is in writing. It would show as a negative amount on the bill of sale and/or finance agreements.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I wanted to get an idea of what leverage I had so I knew how to approach the situation. Here's what happened if anyone cares:

I ended up having to visit the dealership three times and had dozens of calls, voicemails, and messages completely ignored in between and around those visits. The first time I went they said the trade-in had just been funded but the money hadn't hit the bank and to come back in a few days. I had them make me a copy of the signed agreement that had been mysteriously left out of the initial paperwork. Five days after that I called to check the status and they said that the check had been mailed to me four days previous. Two days passed and I still hadn't received anything so they said they would cancel the check and they made me a new one. I drove to the dealership, picked it up, deposited it, and two days later it bounced. The dealership said that the check I deposited was the mailed check that had been canceled and that the good check was still waiting for me at the front desk. I made my third visit, picked up the "good" check, deposited it. A week later it's still holding.

Moral of the story: If any part of a deal with a car dealership seems even remotely sketchy just walk. In the end the $3400 wasn't even worth all the stress and time

Thank you for the replies everyone. I wanted to get an idea of what leverage I had so I knew how to approach the situation. Here's what happened if anyone cares:

Moral of the story: If any part of a deal with a car dealership seems even remotely sketchy just walk. In the end the $3400 wasn't even worth all the stress and time

You're welcome, and many of us repeat your last sentence in one form or another several times a day!!!

Back