verbal agreement to title after paying no papers signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

booboo

My father in law found my husband and I a house and his father in law paid for it upfront signing it to my father in law as they wanted to make sure we paid them the money back before it were to be signed to us. We will be paying the rest or the money back next week but we think my father in law will give the money to his father in law and decide to keep the title in his name as a life lesson to my husband to earn his respect and grow up and then maybe someday he can have the house. In the mean time we will be out 20,000 that we could have bought another house with and not had to worry about paying for and not owning. If he doesn't sign it over would we be entitled to our money back as this was all verbal agreements and nobody signed papers?

We have no way of knowing what he will do or admit to. You would likely need to hire a lawyer to try and get the money back in court as the amount is above small claims.

Slim chance you will ever see the money again. Something like this should never be left to a verbal agreement.

Statue of frauds, research it. After you've researched Statue of frauds, you'll understand WHY agreements related to REAL ESTATE are required to be memorialized in writing.

Legally, the person named in the deed owns the home.

Before you pay $20,000 to ANYONE, make sure the property is deeded to you. Before you even begin to hand so much as one dollar to ANYONE, arrange for the transaction (deed signing and payoff) to occur at real estate attorney's office of your choosing.

Trust me, when he, she, it, or them see $20,000 crispy, greenish colored packets of $100 bills (or a $20,000 cashiers check) they'll play the game your way.

If he, she, it, or them disagree; walk away from the deal, buy yourselves another home with the $20,000 you claim you'll possess this coming week!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back