Vehicles in both our names

B

beulah

Jurisdiction
Indiana
My ex and I have been divorced for three years now. There are still vehicles titled/registered in both of our names. He was supposed to get this taken care of but has not. All are paid off. The divorce decree says I'm to be held harmless but I want my name off of the titles/registrations. What can I do?

If he was awarded the vehicles in the divorce, then I'm pretty sure he would have to be the one to go to the DMV and have your name taken off. But to be sure, call your local DMV office and ask them.

My ex and I have been divorced for three years now. There are still vehicles titled/registered in both of our names. He was supposed to get this taken care of but has not. All are paid off. The divorce decree says I'm to be held harmless but I want my name off of the titles/registrations. What can I do?

Did you sign over the titles to him?

Did you notify the DMV on the appropriate form that you were no longer an owner?

If the vehicles were specifically(by VIN#) awarded to him in the divorce, then he would not need her signature.

Sometimes you need to gently nudge someone when what you want benefits you MORE than t does the other person.

Your divorce decree only binds you and him to the terms it sets out.

This is how you remove your name from a vehicle title in Indiana:

To remove a name from a title, the person whose name is being removed should fill in the seller's section of the title as if he or she were selling the vehicle. The remaining owner should fill out the purchaser's section of the title as if he or she were purchasing the vehicle, and then visit a license branch with the completed title to apply for a new title in his or her name only.

Yeah, you don't have a title.
Go to BMV and obtain one, execute it as described above.
Have him meet you at BMV on an agreed upon date and time.
Problem solved.

Back