vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbieb05

last Nov i sold overthing to move down aht marry my husband well in july we traded his car in and got 1000 to put towards a new car for us. in april he decided he wanted a motorcycle as his transportation and i would drive the car. well during hurricane ike september we decided to file for divorce. He is threatening to get a laywer to take me to court to take the car away from me. Its in both of our names. He got his mom to cosign and he got approved to refinance but i refuse to sign because i would have no vehicle. I do not have anyone to cosign my credit is not great and i have no down payment. If he takes the car from me i will have no way to get around. Does anyone the chances the judge would take it from me to give to him since i have no other option? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Talk to your divorce attorney to request that the car be part of the divorce settlement.

At least, consult with one so s/he can give you some guidance on how to go about the car dispute.

Being recently divorced the best thing to do would be to work it out between the two of you. A sugestion may be to get him to agree that he keeps the motorcycle and you keep the car. If this goes to court the judge may have you sell the car and motorcycle and then split the difference. The judge could also deterimine that the car was purchased for you and the motorcycle was purchased for him so you keep the car and he gets the motorcycle and then you would split the difference in value. Example: If the value of the motorcycle is 10000 and the value of the car is 12000 you would have to split the difference and give him 1000. A little friendly advice would be to stay out of court and try to put your emotions aside( I know this is very difficult) and treat the whole thimg as a bad buisness deal. Damage control. When you get into the court battle it drains your resources and the only ones that come out on top are the attorneys in most cases. P.S Get everythig.... in writing, dated ,and notorized

You can pay attorneys for consulting only,without retaining them. Write down all your questions before you go to make sure you get your $ worth. Remember they round the time off to 15 or thirty minute intervals when they charge you. Do not forget they work for you be assertive and ask why and how.. It is your hard earned money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back