Vehicle towed and windows left open during rain storm

njval1

In need of advice. Had my son's 2012 Durango serviced at a Dodge dealership for a recall on the alternator on May 29,2015.. He drove the vehicle home and claimed it was still not functioning properly.

Called the dealership on Saturday morning and they provided the number for Dodge roadside assistance and told us to have the vehicle towed back to Dodge. Tow company came and towed the vehicle.

Monday morning I receive a telephone call from a totally different dealer asking why the vehicle was at his dealership and also to tell me the tow company left the front windows open. Sunday our area was hit with torrential rain storms that lasted for around 12 hours. Needless to say the front of the vehicle is saturated with water. The water also traveled to the carpeting located in the second row seating area.

Contacted Dodge and explained the situation . According to Dodge they are responsible for damage to the vehicle. I asked the dealership to take the vehicle and to write up an estimate, they told me they didn't want the headache. I contacted a body shop and that is where the vehicle is currently.

As of today the estimate is approximately $8,000.00. The body shop is waiting for authorization to remove the carpeting in the vehicle to access the damage below the carpeting.

I do not want this vehicle back. I feel problems will re-occur in the near future and I am concerned about mold forming in the vehicle. I am also concerned about the near future when we try to sell the vehicle. I am sure that no one will purchase this vehicle due to the water damage. My son starts the police academy next month and I am worried about the long drive he will endure.

I have one year left to pay on this car loan. If the vehicle is considered totaled, am I able to receive a new vehicle, or would I just receive the amount the vehicle is worth?

Do I have the legal right to tell Dodge that I do not want the vehicle returned? Should I hire an attorney?

Thank you! Val

You can hire an attorney, but it may cost you more than you can recover.

You might wish to speak with your insurance company and see what they suggest.

You don't have a right to demand anything from Dodge.

You can start negotiating and see what Dodge will do for you.

Frankly, from what you state, I think Dodge will push most of the damages off on the tow company.

But, you'll know more after reaching out to Dodge customer service, or the local dealership.

Frankly, I'm guessing the car (depending on the mileage and condition otherwise) is probably worth about EIGHT GRAND wholesale, maybe NINE GRAND.

See what Dodge says, after you decide what will make you happy being reasonable.

Before you ask, I don't see them giving you a new car of that size, maybe a new smaller car, their Dart (for example).
But, I can't speak for Dodge or you.

Good luck.

Back