Moving, Movers Validity of leasing document and misleading

imwatersky

Jurisdiction
New York
My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: NY, Long Island.

I am going to move out from the current apartment on 19th Jun 2018, when my leasing term officially end. I sent an email to the leasing office and told them that I would move out on the 19th. They replied that I had to tell them in advance of 60 days before moving out in written form. Because I failed to do so, I have to pay a reletting charge of $1818.

I have lived in this property for 2 years, and signed 2 leasing form for each year. However, I am only able to see the leasing document of the first year's leasing document (from the renter's portal and from the email attachment), but I never obtain a copy of the 2nd year's leasing document. Hence, the ONLY reference for me is the 1st year's leasing document.

portalCapture.jpg

There was no term talking about the "60 days in advance" and the reletting charge was only "$550".
Then I went to the leasing office today, they provided me a copy of the 2nd year's leasing document. In this document, there is everything they need. However, the new leasing document was weird. It has the same copy right year as the old one, and everything else was the same except the 2 terms (60 days and the change of reletting charge) I mentioned above.

dateNew.jpgdateOld.jpgtermOld.jpg
termNew.jpg

Hence, is it possible for me to doubt the validity of the new leasing document, since it looks like 2 different versions of contract written in the same year, and they have very minor differences.

Since I only have the copy of the old leasing document, can I say that is kind of misleading of the leasing company by hiding the new leasing document from me. These 2 leasing documents are very alike, so if I only check the old version, then I would be mislead, and this is their purpose.

Please help me since this reletting charge is really a burden to me. Thank you.

Hence, is it possible for me to doubt the validity of the new leasing document, since it looks like 2 different versions of contract written in the same year, and they have very minor differences.

No one can assure you as to what you choose to think, and if they could it would be a form of mind control.

Never seek the validation of others to assuage your conscience as you make a decision.

If you doubt the authenticity of the lease form, it might be in your best interests to consult with a local attorney, or the city/county housing agency, or other local officials (mayor, elected councilperson, etc).

Since I only have the copy of the old leasing document, can I say that is kind of misleading of the leasing company by hiding the new leasing document from me. These 2 leasing documents are very alike, so if I only check the old version, then I would be mislead, and this is their purpose.

Again, it is your voice which no one can lawfully silence.

How you speak or think is entirely up to you, mate.

On a final note, I'll ask you what does the lease require as notice?

The lease requires a tenant to provide 60 days written notice, which is standard in most leases.

Notice MUST be given in writing because of the old statute of frauds and real estate transactions.

Buttressing that is that you were given a written lease.

You claim to not have received the last one, but proving that will require far more than your assertions.

As far as written notice to move out, it appears to be in both leases.

Don't post anymore screen shots, as those are useless WITHOUT reading the entire document, which I wouldn't do anyway.

I sent an email to the leasing office and told them that I would move out on the 19th.

When did you do this?

is it possible for me to doubt the validity of the new leasing document

Of course it's "possible for [you] to doubt" it. Indeed, it appears that you do, in fact, doubt it. Right? If so, why would you think that it might not be possible?

it looks like 2 different versions of contract written in the same year, and they have very minor differences.

Neither I nor anyone else here can speak intelligently about whether this document is or isn't valid. However, it does need to be said that you put yourself in this position by not obtaining a copy of the lease when you signed it. Also, it's entirely possible for the form to have been modified (before you signed it) without having the copyright date changed.

I don't really understand what you're saying here. While you obviously can say whatever you want, if, in fact, your second lease required 60 days' notice, then you're stuck with that. Since you failed to obtain a copy of the second lease at the time you signed it, you're largely at the mercy of your landlord in this regard. Perhaps the landlord will be amenable to negotiating the re-letting fee.

Back