Vacation Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

calluna

Recently a coworker was out sick for five days. Company policy is that after three consecutive sick days you need a doctors note. She supplied a doctors note but because the note only excused her for three out of the five days she was out she was told she would have a disciplinary notice added to her file. Understanding the policy, she agreed to sign the disciplinary letter. At the disciplinary meeting though she was also asked to sign a letter stating that she understood that she had taken nine Mondays and Fridays off in the past physical year and that she needed to make improvements on her attendance. Many of these Mondays and Fridays were taken as vacation days. Is an employer allowed to hold vacation days (that have been pre-approved) against because of what days were taken. Our department as a whole was told that we take off too many Mondays, Fridays and days before holidays. Is my employer able to restrict what days I take my vacation days on even if the vacation day is approved?

Yes. Even in Massachusetts, which has the most convoluted vacation laws in the US (IMHO - and MA is my state as well), the employer has complete control over when and how you take vacation days. In NO state are you guaranteed the right to take vacation whenever you please - in ALL states the employer maintains the legal right to deny vacation or to hold its use against you.

Agree with cbg & federal law does not care about how employers handle vacation at all. (There is no federal law requiring vacation or how it is handled by the employer when given.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back