Vacation Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slave2PurseKing

If I take a vacation day, authorized by my employer, and the employer contacts me and expects me to answer emails and complete tasks, and still deducts a vacation day from my total vacation days allowed, what recourse do I have to another vacation day for compensation?

Also, I am a salaried worker, hired by the firm. A work week is defined by the firm, in their corporate policy handbook, as 40 hours, starting at 9:00 and ending at 6:00. It also says some departments may have other hours. My second question is: Can the business set regular meetings before and after hours every day? We have meetings scheduled to start at 8:00 am and regularly (3/4 times per week) have meetings starting at 6:30 at night. People have been fired for asking about this.

My third question is, given all the above, if our managers require us to work 12 to 13 hours per day and weekends and vacation, is there any legal recourse in New Jersey?

If I take a vacation day, authorized by my employer, and the employer contacts me and expects me to answer emails and complete tasks, and still deducts a vacation day from my total vacation days allowed, what recourse do I have to another vacation day for compensation? Probably not much. The Feds have made it 100% clear that anything to do with vacation is a matter between the employer and the employee and has nothing to do with them. It is possible, but not probable, that the state of New Jersey might have an opinion on the subject but for the most part, with the exception of a handful of states that have laws about what happens to unused vacation when your employment ends, only California cares what happens with regards to vacation and California doesn't care very much. You can try calling the state of NJ wage and hour division and see what they say, but I wouldn't be holding my breath expecting much.

Can the business set regular meetings before and after hours every day? Yes. The business can set regular meetings any time they like. If the meetings are mandatory and the employee is non-exempt, the employee must be paid for the time; if the employee is exempt, they need not be paid. Please note that not all salaried employees are exempt and not all exempt employees are salaried. It is your job duties that determine your exempt status.

if our managers require us to work 12 to 13 hours per day and weekends and vacation, is there any legal recourse in New Jersey? No, nor in 42 other states either.

Sounds like you should be looking for employment elsewhere. Its pretty clear this employer will use and abuse you, if you raise an objection....aidios! Start putting that resume out.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back