Utilities Dispute - Services Not Rendered

Jon Goslin

Jurisdiction
Kansas
I recently purchased a home and have discovered that the property is not connected to the local sewage system. The property is just beyond the city limits sign. I've been paying for sewage service as part of my monthly utility bill to the city. The sewage disposal is roughly 150% of the water bill. Is it legal for the city to charge for services not rendered? Am I owed a refund?

I recently purchased a home and have discovered that the property is not connected to the local sewage system. The property is just beyond the city limits sign. I've been paying for sewage service as part of my monthly utility bill to the city. The sewage disposal is roughly 150% of the water bill. Is it legal for the city to charge for services not rendered? Am I owed a refund?

I suggest you go in PERSON to the utility office and discuss your concerns with a supervisor.

Once you've had such a discussion, I'm guessing you'll be on the road to remedy.

Everybody pays for things they don't use.

I pay for sewer but my home is on septic.

My taxes pay for schools but it's been thirty years since my kids went to school.

I agree you should be asking the utility company about it but I suspect it's legal and you don't have any choice.

Everybody pays for things they don't use.

I pay for sewer but my home is on septic.

My taxes pay for schools but it's been thirty years since my kids went to school.

I agree you should be asking the utility company about it but I suspect it's legal and you don't have any choice.

Social Security confiscates $150 a month from me, even though I don't need, nor did I solicit Medicare coverage.

Yeah, I know it's $120, unless these thieves say you make TOO much money according to them.

Sales tax for a transaction that doesn't involve government, but the thieves don't care about you.

You're just an object, an ATM to them.

I have TriCare and another private health insurer to cover me when we're out of the country living abroad.

My point?

You're spot on, adjuster j, we get gouged by government for stuff we don't need, or will ever use.

Once these greedy confiscators gotcha, they never let you go.

Social Security confiscates $150 a month from me, even though I don't need, nor did I solicit Medicare coverage.

Forgot to add that to my list, too ($109). All my health needs are taken care of by the VA. But, on the odd chance that I might need Medicare for something, I guess it's worth having.

Forgot to add that to my list, too ($109). All my health needs are taken care of by the VA. But, on the odd chance that I might need Medicare for something, I guess it's worth having.

Medicare will always will be one of several usurpers in my life, second only to the IRS.

They were uninvited and for me, useless.

I should have the right to choose them, rather than them choosing me as another mark to pay for some loser who chose not to prepare for the last years of their life.

Bottom line, Medicare masquerades as insurance, as does its cousin, Social Security masquerading as a pension.

I agree in principle, but the reality is that most people would have nothing in their later years if it wasn't for SS and many through no fault of their own. I like getting those social security checks every month and I don't consider myself a mark paying for somebody else. In the last 9 1/2 years that I've been on SS I've collected about 2.5 times what I put in during my working life (maybe the marks are paying for me). That's a 250% return on my contributions (so far). Would I have preferred keeping those contributions? Sure. Would I have done as well investing them on my own? Realistically, probably not. I did manage to build up a healthy retirement fund along the way, enough to live on without SS but the SS keeps the use of the retirement funds discretionary instead of necessary. Thanks, FDR.

I agree in principle, but the reality is that most people would have nothing in their later years if it wasn't for SS and many through no fault of their own. I like getting those social security checks every month and I don't consider myself a mark paying for somebody else. In the last 9 1/2 years that I've been on SS I've collected about 2.5 times what I put in during my working life (maybe the marks are paying for me). That's a 250% return on my contributions (so far). Would I have preferred keeping those contributions? Sure. Would I have done as well investing them on my own? Realistically, probably not. I did manage to build up a healthy retirement fund along the way, enough to live on without SS but the SS keeps the use of the retirement funds discretionary instead of necessary. Thanks, FDR.

Social Security has expanded at the expense of its legitimate beneficiaries.

I dislike being forced to first have my earnings taken to possibly receive a dollar later.

I think that's gambling.

The entire government today is a con.

Back